New cartridge for 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MCVetSteve

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I watched a clip the other day by some older gun writer. I didn't catch his name . He was comparing the 6.5 Creedmoor against the .270 Win. The .270 was just as good at most ranges and better at many on power and flat shooting according to his numbers.
For the record I own a Win Pre 64 Classic super grade in .270.
Jack O'conner(gun writer) was the champion of that caliber. He fell in love with the .270 killing zillions of elk and African plains game with it while being part of the discussion of the better caliber between 30-06 vs the .270.
That caliber never became the darling of the long range shooters though even with it's longer sleeker bullet and I don't know why not. I've never seen anyone say they used a .270 in a long range competition.
I've never tried it at long range either although I'm an owner. Killed a few deer at moderate ranges, nothing like the elk that have been killed with the 30-06 out to almost 600 yards.
The .270 is a long action just like the 6.5 creedmoor, so why did everyone jump on the creedmore?

Cowbaby

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For the record I own a Win Pre 64 Classic super grade in .270.
Jack O'conner(gun writer) was the champion of that caliber. He fell in love with the .270 killing zillions of elk and African plains game with it while being part of the discussion of the better caliber between 30-06 vs the .270.
That caliber never became the darling of the long range shooters though even with it's longer sleeker bullet and I don't know why not. I've never seen anyone say they used a .270 in a long range competition.
I've never tried it at long range either although I'm an owner. Killed a few deer at moderate ranges, nothing like the elk that have been killed with the 30-06 out to almost 600 yards.
The .270 is a long action just like the 6.5 creedmoor, so why did everyone jump on the creedmore?

I too used to have a pre-64 model 70 in 270 . Just a field grade but I loved that gun. The action and safety was almost like it had been diamond lapped it was so smooth. I still shoot a 70 classic in a newer model and its almost as nice and shoots just slightly better than the old one did due to a mag caliber.
I love that old .270 as a caliber. I never used it extreme long range but I never felt under-gunned in the least carrying one as they were always a stepper. I am not an extreme long range guy either. I usually try to limit myself to about 400-450yds as that is about the limit of my old eyes in a hunting tapered barrel. I just simply refuse to carry a 29lb bull barreled pig around mountain hunting.

At for the long actions. I never understood the infatuation with a short action in a bolt rifle myself. I can never say I ever noticed that extra half inch when rackin another one in. If given a choice I would grab that old Jack O'Conner special every time than these newer fly by night may be around tommorrow, maybe not calibers. I can be in BFE Idaho and still find a box of that in a pinch. Availability, That can sometimes make a world of difference on one of those costly hunts to somewhere remote.

Last edited:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I too used to have a pre-64 model 70 in 270 . Just a field grade but I loved that gun. The action and safety was almost like it had been diamond lapped it was so smooth. I still shoot a 70 classic in a newer model and its almost as nice and shoots just slightly better than the old one did due to a mag caliber.
I love that old .270 as a caliber. I never used it extreme long range but I never felt under-gunned in the least carrying one as they were always a stepper. I am not an extreme long range guy either. I usually try to limit myself to about 400-450yds as that is about the limit of my old eyes in a hunting tapered barrel. I just simply refuse to carry a 29lb bull barreled pig around mountain hunting.

At for the long actions. I never understood the infatuation with a short action in a bolt rifle myself. I can never say I ever noticed that extra half inch when rackin another one in. If given a choice I would grab that old Jack O'Conner special every time than these newer fly by night may be around tommorrow, maybe not calibers. I can be in BFE Idaho and still find a box of that in a pinch. Availability, That can sometimes make a world of difference on one of those costly hunts to somewhere remote.
I keep looking at these new fangled whiz bang long range cartridges like the Creedmore, Grendel, Nosler, AI, and others in different calibers and compare them to the old 30-06 that sends a 165 grain down range at almost 3000 fps while cartridges like the Grendel are around 2500 fps with a 123 grain bullet.
Every precision bullet manufacturer makes a .30 cal bullet just like they do the Grendel, PPC or whatever.
I can understand the need for a short action so they can be utilized in the AR Platform which I'm fond of.
Hence the reason the 6.8 is interesting to me. It's pushing the 165 grain bullet at speeds higher than the 30-06 in a short action. Now we are talking elk gun.

Cowbaby

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well maybe so. I have no need for an AR platform. I know a little something about chamber slop needed for an automatic action to function properly. To me these new rounds are trying to defy the last laws of pressure physics to squeeze out the last 200ft a sec.
Put a mild by western standards 15 mile crosswind on and come back with the report, I know what they claim. Then that Old Skool .06 might not be hanging its head so hard.
Just some random musings from a guy still stuck in last century.

Last edited:

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can understand the need for a short action so they can be utilized in the AR Platform which I'm fond of.
Hence the reason the 6.8 is interesting to me. It's pushing the 165 grain bullet at speeds higher than the 30-06 in a short action. Now we are talking elk gun.
How does the .308 compare to the 6.8?

It (the .308) is probably common as the '06 these days (maybe more so).
:drunk2:

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Do you have 6.5 Creedmoor stuff you’re trying to get rid of, most interested in reloading supplies?

Not at this time I have not given up on it just wish I had not got it and all the stuff to go with it.
It's a lot of range time to dial one in and 60+ mile drive 1 way to shoot the loads you make and see if they are good or not.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My .308 is slower than my 30-06 but for hunting ranges both get the job done.
Hunting ranges not the same as sniper ranges.
I can get 3176 reliably and accurately from my 30-06 with 155 gr.
2978 from my .308

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
How does the .308 compare to the 6.8?

It (the .308) is probably common as the '06 these days (maybe more so).
:drunk2:
The .308 is a couple hundred fps slower than the 30-06 standard load of 165/168 grain loads but accomplishes the same speed as the '06 by using 150 grain bullets which seems to be its sweet spot. I'm pretty sure an animal or human won't know the difference in 18 grains at any distance. One would have to go out to 500 yards or further to see any significant difference in trajectory between the 150 grain and the 168.
.308 is a current military round with lots of brass around and if tradition runs true, what is current in the military transfers to the civilian market.
After WWII, the '06 was the king on the battlefield and the darling of the 1000 yard matches at Camp Perry until the 60's or so. The .308 has never made an appearance at the 1000 yard matches that I'm aware of because there are calibers out there that are better suited these days.

Latest posts

Top Bottom