New hunting dog

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

batchman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Back in the day, and maybe now, I don't know, but poachers that poached year around liked the Britts as they could be trained to trail deer, run rabbits, jump quail, retrieve waterfowl, or anything else. Been running them for upland birds(in season of course) for around 30 years now.

Huh just never heard that, but when I lived in Amarillo, and Doc this will answer your question I was a member of the bird dog club and you had to have papers showing the dog a reconized breed to run them in the trials move up to regionals ect.. That is why they are trying to get the breed in. I have not (probably cause I never go duck hunting worked on the britts waters skills) but plan to with the new pup the more hunting I can do well you no the rest

batchman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Back in the day, and maybe now, I don't know, but poachers that poached year around liked the Britts as they could be trained to trail deer, run rabbits, jump quail, retrieve waterfowl, or anything else. Been running them for upland birds(in season of course) for around 30 years now.

Huh just never heard that, but when I lived in Amarillo, and Doc this will answer your question I was a member of the bird dog club and you had to have papers showing the dog a reconized breed to run them in the trials move up to regionals ect.. That is why they are trying to get the breed in. I have not (probably cause I never go duck hunting worked on the britts waters skills) but plan to with the new pup the more hunting I can do well you no the rest

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Congrats on the new puppy - should be a good one.

Something I don't understand, though...

Why on earth would anyone - any person or group - who actually likes dogs and likes a breed (as opposed to hating dogs or hating the breed in question) actually WANT to get the Amerian Kennel Club, massive joke and abomination that they are**, to recognize a breed,rather than just getting them recognized in their own clubs that do NOT actually actively harm the breed, once recognized, and which promote and focus on working ability (and health and temperament)???

Didn't the Border Collie folks actually try their damndest to resist recognition for that very reason? Why, why , why?

**If you don't know how badly the AKC sucks, then I can fill you in on that, but in a nutshell, it's horrible for any good working breed, since (a) their standards are complete crap / nonsense (nothing more than parents' being registered is required for registration!), and (b) they don't even think about or look at working ability in the slighest - it's all about looks/conformation, and really not even that since there are NO conformation standards applied to registration, either in the dog itself or in the parents! Let alone working ability standards.

They care absolutely not one whit about working ability or health, and only about 1/2 of 1 whit about temperament.

Every time throughout history, when the AKC recognizes a breed, the breed quickly goes downhill, diluted and perverted by thousands of backyard breeders.

The cynical side of me says that those who are pushing for this are not interested at all in the breed, but solely about the $$ that can be made by them from backyard breeding, upon AKC recognition.

AKC is the biggest joke on earth.....bah, you 'got me started.'

Also, I thought the GSP and GLP were *already* considered the ultimate versatile working dog and would retrieve in water just fine.. No?

I do believe I have to agree with you on this. One of my rants is how the Boone and Crokkette score a buck with all the deductions before it becomes a trophy?
As a hunter, and I have a 10-12 point in my herd, that would score a 150 but it has some tines broken off due to a fight, it would only score a 100?

I really don't care about the symmetry score either where if the tines on both sides are not equal there are deductions? I just want to know how big the bucks are in my area....

Sorry about my rant, and I know its off topic, but the Doc got me going:thumb:

Latest posts

Top Bottom