New SDA Law Changes

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SDAinstructor

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Got a packet in the mail Saturday from the OSBI informing me of changes made to SDA that go into effect Nov. 1. I noticed they did away with the price cap of $60 for the class. They now let instructors charge whatever they want. Just curious if any instructors out there plan on raising rates? I really don't teach this class much anymore just due to the fact that over the last two years we have had a huge increase in instructor population around my area. Seems like you cant throw a rock without hitting a SDA instructor around my parts.

I've been told that in other states the class can cost $100. I'll be interested to see what happens to the market around here.

okie362

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Like you, I don't teach a lot of classes anymore and do it mainly as a public service and because I enjoy it. I typically charge $50 and have been known to tell some to just pay what they could afford.

[Edit}: Best deal I ever got on a class was a homemade apple pie from a 72 year old woman for teaching her and her 80 year old husband...It's what they could afford.

SDAinstructor

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Cheers to you Okie362. The last few classes I have done (I would say 4 or 5) I have done for free. Had about anywhere from 4-8 people in each or so. For me it just got to be sort of a hassle to teach them. I don't advertise anymore and pretty much just do them when I have time when people call me. Up to about a year ago, I was probably doing two classes a week at $60 per person. I averaged about 6 people a class or so.

Surveyor1653

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hopefully one day the class will no longer even be required. I know what the result of that would be, since there are guys out there who earn a considerable portion of their living this way, but that's just how I feel about it. I'm sure there will be independents and range-based schools alike who will raise their rates. That's on them but, frankly, I'd like to know if there are any instructors/schools out there who feel like $60 just isn't enough.

ETA: No judgment, just curious whether someone's overhead/business model, just makes it difficult to cover everything with a $60 fee/head.

Profreedomokie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We still charge $60. That was the limit from 1996 until now. Gas,targets,and ammo have increased since 1996. We'll keep ours at $60. I make a fair living on America's addiction to gasoline.

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think the number of instructors out there today was a part of removing the limit on price. There is more competition now than there ever was before. Figure if there is one guy teaching the class within 100 miles he can charge whatever he wants, so they imposed a limit of no more than $60. Now that there are 10 instructors where was once 1, no need for the limit anymore.

Latest posts

Top Bottom