New water filter find

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flamedude

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
LifeStraw is a great product. You may also check out Sawyer water filtration products as they have a mini filter which fits standard water bottles or their own collapsible drinking pouch. Amazon sells both brands for under $25.00. I have used LifeStraw, it really works and ordered a Sawyer to try out.

Last edited:

DasSieben

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I do want to mention...though I think it looks like an awesome product and I did just buy one for camping/BOB...the entry level Sawyers don't filter out viruses. Not that we need to be worried about it at this time or have a problem with viruses in us right now. I'd like to be ultra safe and have one that filters that as well.

Repubiman

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I do want to mention...though I think it looks like an awesome product and I did just buy one for camping/BOB...the entry level Sawyers don't filter out viruses. Not that we need to be worried about it at this time or have a problem with viruses in us right now. I'd like to be ultra safe and have one that filters that as well.

DasSieben.
Good luck with that. If you look it states that viruses are rarely found in water sources. Most viruses are spread from human to human. I have a $300 Katadyn pocket filter and it neither filters out viruses. As a matter of fact, I haven't seen yet a manufacturer that makes a water filter that filters out that small of a particle. If you find one please let us know. The best way to deal with viruses is by boiling or chemical treatment. But since making water filters, filtering for viruses hasn't been a priority because of the super rare cases of anyone ever being infected from a water source and the fact that to filter out something the size of a virus, that technology would be super expensive so it just isn't
worth it.

As far as a Life Straw, while a good product, as I own several, they are limited to I believe 150 gallons or so of water filtration. Since their price is comparable to the Sawyer mini, I like the fact that the Sawyer filters 100,000 gallons and it just needs back flushed to keep going after that. I imagine if you are using it in dirty water you will have to back flush often however.

DasSieben

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
DasSieben.
Good luck with that. If you look it states that viruses are rarely found in water sources. Most viruses are spread from human to human. I have a $300 Katadyn pocket filter and it neither filters out viruses. As a matter of fact, I haven't seen yet a manufacturer that makes a water filter that filters out that small of a particle. If you find one please let us know. The best way to deal with viruses is by boiling or chemical treatment. But since making water filters, filtering for viruses hasn't been a priority because of the super rare cases of anyone ever being infected from a water source and the fact that to filter out something the size of a virus, that technology would be super expensive so it just isn't
worth it.

As far as a Life Straw, while a good product, as I own several, they are limited to I believe 150 gallons or so of water filtration. Since their price is comparable to the Sawyer mini, I like the fact that the Sawyer filters 100,000 gallons and it just needs back flushed to keep going after that. I imagine if you are using it in dirty water you will have to back flush often however.

Repubiman.

I don't need your luck bc I already have one that filters viruses. I wasnt putting sawyer down and agree its amazing that you can virtually use the one i got forever...i think it said 1 million gallons. For some reason I thought when i bought it i thought it filtered viruses as well, but it doesnt. Just thought I'd mention it. It's still awesome for camping or emergencies bc like you said there isn't a major problem with viruses in North America...i don't think this is the case in other countries and I personally would like a way of filtering viruses as well just in case anything ever changed.

My portable filter that filters viruses Is a Katadyn "my bottle" for about $60. And yes it is expensive bc it only filters 29 gallons before the filter needs replaced. And Berkey makes a large carbon filter that you can get to put in buckets to filter water and they also filter viruses for $50 up to 3000 gallons.
You probably won't want them but just letting you know they're out there.

Latest posts

Top Bottom