New years traditions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Timmy59

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Every year we have hog jowl and purple hull peas( I know it's supposed to be black eyed peas) but they are dry tasting to me.
On our menu today is home grown corn on the cobb, purple hull peas, fried okra, fresh bell pepper, fresh carrots, home cured hog jowl and deviled eggs from our own chickens. Everything on my plate is what I have produced.
No traditions meal wise implemented for this new year, we use to do the black eye'ds but not this year. But like yourself much or most of our meals came from the backyard or greenhouse.

HFS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When I was growing up on New Year’s Eve we would have a bunch of traditional Swedish type foods. My father’s mother was Swedish. I gather this was a tradition when my father grew up.

We lived in N.E. Kansas and my father would go to Kansas City where there was a Swedish grocery store and purchase Swedish type foods.

Here is a partial list of the foods we would have New Year’s Eve. I don’t recall all the foods.

Lutefisk – a nasty fish that is preserved in lye and has to be soaked in fresh water to re-hydrate, then cooked in a cream type sauce. ( I never acquired a taste for – nasty)

Pickled Herring - Creamed and Pickled

Smoked Whitefish - Actually fairly yummy

Seasoned Rye Crisp Crackers or Rye Hard Tack

Various Cheeses

Potato Sausage

Swedish Meat Balls

Lingonberry sauce –
much like cranberries, but smaller.

Various Pastries – my mother baked them from my father’s mother’s recipes.

I’m sure there were a few other items I don’t remember. We snacked all night.

The following morning my father would make Swedish pancakes with Lingonberry sauce and powdered sugar.

My wife is an Okie and we have to have black-eyed peas every New Year’s eve. (To me, about as nasty as Lutefisk) I am forced to eat at least a spoonful. :)
I have no experience with Lutefisk but I have seen people of Scandinavian ancestry grimace when the word is mentioned.
All I know is the episode of King of the Hill where the church burns down. "It was the stinky man!" ROFL.

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My mother told me that eating black eyed peas on New Year's day for good luck is tradition. Funny thing is, she didn't tell me that until I was in my 30's. I don't remember us ever doing that before then, and had never heard of it. :rollingla

OKGlocker

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
You've got to rinse dried black eyed peas TWICE real good before soaking.
Then after soaking, throw out that water, rinse again and simmer them in chicken broth with your choice of spices.
I add other stuff to make Hoppin John for New Year's.

My wife is from Mobile, Alabama...
She makes us Hoppin' John every New Years...
I had never heard of it before I met her, but that is some GOOD eatin! 👍

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My wife is from Mobile, Alabama...
She makes us Hoppin' John every New Years...
I had never heard of it before I met her, but that is some GOOD eatin! 👍

Not that this applies to New Years traditions, but when we were in Alabama (and perhaps specifically, Mobile), I finally tried grits. We ate at a restaurant near the hotel for breakfast one morning, and whatever it was that I ordered had two sides. I asked about grits and what they were made from and ordered then as one of the sides.

When they brought out the order, the young lady said that if I didn't like the grits, that they would give me something else. Not wanting to take advantage of their excellent hospitality, I declined but didn't eat much of the grits. The waitress noticed that I hadn't eaten much and said something about it to the other lady. A short bit later that "other" young lady came back out and stated that when they were told that I wasn't eating much of the grits, they tasted them in the back.

That is when the "other" young lady made some more and brought me the new batch. She told me that when she tried the original grits, she grimaced and said no wonder he's not eating them; these are bad. I still didn't eat much of the grits.

But I very much enjoyed the young ladies that waited on us. I think the "other" young lady was in management or something.

Latest posts

Top Bottom