New years traditions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HFS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Everyone in my family likes Black Eyed Peas, except for me. To me, they just taste like dirt. Had a spoonful this evening --- yep, dirt.

:puke:
You've got to rinse dried black eyed peas TWICE real good before soaking.
Then after soaking, throw out that water, rinse again and simmer them in chicken broth with your choice of spices.
I add other stuff to make Hoppin John for New Year's.

Forgalspop

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When I was growing up on New Year’s Eve we would have a bunch of traditional Swedish type foods. My father’s mother was Swedish. I gather this was a tradition when my father grew up.

We lived in N.E. Kansas and my father would go to Kansas City where there was a Swedish grocery store and purchase Swedish type foods.

Here is a partial list of the foods we would have New Year’s Eve. I don’t recall all the foods.

Lutefisk – a nasty fish that is preserved in lye and has to be soaked in fresh water to re-hydrate, then cooked in a cream type sauce. ( I never acquired a taste for – nasty)

Pickled Herring - Creamed and Pickled

Smoked Whitefish - Actually fairly yummy

Seasoned Rye Crisp Crackers or Rye Hard Tack

Various Cheeses

Potato Sausage

Swedish Meat Balls

Lingonberry sauce –
much like cranberries, but smaller.

Various Pastries – my mother baked them from my father’s mother’s recipes.

I’m sure there were a few other items I don’t remember. We snacked all night.

The following morning my father would make Swedish pancakes with Lingonberry sauce and powdered sugar.

My wife is an Okie and we have to have black-eyed peas every New Year’s eve. (To me, about as nasty as Lutefisk) I am forced to eat at least a spoonful. :)

Bocephus123

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We use this receipe for TX Caviar we got at the Little Rhein Steakhouse in San Antonio years ago.

Ingredients for Texas Caviar

5 lb Dried Black-Eyed Peas
2½ tbsp Seasoning Salt
1 tbsp Salt
½ tbsp Paprika
¼ tbsp Cumin
½ tsp Black Pepper
1½ cup Celery, chopped
¼ lb Butter
½ Onion, diced
1½ cup Green Bell Pepper, diced
3/4 cup Red Bell Pepper, diced
Pinch of Cayenne Pepper
Place peas and all ingredients in a pot and add water, making sure peas are covered. Cover and simmer for 1 hour and 30 minutes. Remove from heat when done.
Chill and serve.
Love it good stuff

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Everyone in my family likes Black Eyed Peas, except for me. To me, they just taste like dirt. Had a spoonful this evening --- yep, dirt.

:puke:

My wife says the same thing.

However, black-eyed peas has been a New Year's Day tradition in my family for quite some time. I also like black-eyed peas any other time as well. Wife fixes them up for me but only takes a spoonful on NYD.

I think it must work, as I'm 75 and in pretty darn good health. (We have our annual "wellness check" on Wednesday, so we'll see out the lab results come out.)

Bocephus123

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My wife says the same thing.

However, black-eyed peas has been a New Year's Day tradition in my family for quite some time. I also like black-eyed peas any other time as well. Wife fixes them up for me but only takes a spoonful on NYD.

I think it must work, as I'm 75 and in pretty darn good health. (We have our annual "wellness check" on Wednesday, so we'll see out the lab results come out.)
Lentils are really good for you throw a little ham in them or sausage

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
When I was growing up on New Year’s Eve we would have a bunch of traditional Swedish type foods. My father’s mother was Swedish. I gather this was a tradition when my father grew up.

We lived in N.E. Kansas and my father would go to Kansas City where there was a Swedish grocery store and purchase Swedish type foods.

Here is a partial list of the foods we would have New Year’s Eve. I don’t recall all the foods.

Lutefisk – a nasty fish that is preserved in lye and has to be soaked in fresh water to re-hydrate, then cooked in a cream type sauce. ( I never acquired a taste for – nasty)

Pickled Herring - Creamed and Pickled

Smoked Whitefish - Actually fairly yummy

Seasoned Rye Crisp Crackers or Rye Hard Tack

Various Cheeses

Potato Sausage

Swedish Meat Balls

Lingonberry sauce –
much like cranberries, but smaller.

Various Pastries – my mother baked them from my father’s mother’s recipes.

I’m sure there were a few other items I don’t remember. We snacked all night.

The following morning my father would make Swedish pancakes with Lingonberry sauce and powdered sugar.

My wife is an Okie and we have to have black-eyed peas every New Year’s eve. (To me, about as nasty as Lutefisk) I am forced to eat at least a spoonful. :)
Probably doesn’t do home made justice, but I absolutely love the Swedish meatballs and lingonberry sauce at ikea. I’ll go to that place just to get it and leave.
Old lady doesn’t like black eyed peas and if we’re together with her family they don’t eat pork. The past three years her and I go to the Skirvin Hilton in OKC and hang out in their red piano lounge, have a few drinks and listen to the live music. It’s always a good time.

Latest posts

Top Bottom