Newb with questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blinocac200sx

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok, my dad is not an outdoorsman by any stretch of the imagination, so I never went hunting, fishing or camping as a kid. I now have a great desire to go hunting. I am looking at the department of wildlife's website, and have no clue what licenses I need. Can anyone explain what all the different licenses are for?

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
What are u wanting to hunt for? You'll need a general hunting license, which you'll need to hunt anything. Then there are species specific tags for deer, turkey, bear, elk, antelope. You'll need a OK and federal duck stamp to hunt waterfowl along with a free HIP permit. Trapping requires a trapping license and fox, coon,bobcat license if you want to trap or hunt those. $3 permit to hunt sandhill crane. That's the nutshell version.

Blinocac200sx

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, I would like to hunt deer and other like creatures mainly. I'm allergic to poultry, so I see no need to hunt waterfowl. I guess my biggest question now is, which one is the general hunting license that I need. I see Annual Hunting, 5 year hunting, and Resident Hunting Fiscal Year. Now I can figure out that Annual and 5 year are probably the same thing for different lengths of time, but what is the Resident Hunting Fiscal Year?

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
the fiscal year liscence is new. used to be that your liscence expired on dec 31st even if you bought it on the 30th. fiscal ones go from date of purchase for one year. you will need a fiscal or annual and a tag for each deer that you plan on taking. i don't remeber if the 5 year saves you a few bucks or is just more convenient so that you don't have to bother with it as often.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you get a nice tax return, consider the lifetime hunting license, or the comb hunting/fishing.
You no longer need to buy seperate tags for the most part. There are a few execptions though.

okievarmint

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I see your age as 33, and you state you did not hunt as a child. Have you prior hunting experience? Have you a mentor? I am sure there are people on this forum that would help...

Blinocac200sx

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I see your age as 33, and you state you did not hunt as a child. Have you prior hunting experience? Have you a mentor? I am sure there are people on this forum that would help...

That was actually going to be my next question. Having very little clue what I'm doing, I could use an experienced guide/mentor, as well as a place to go.

Latest posts

Top Bottom