NFA legal SBR, well Firearm

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pokem807

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I agree with you and when I mentioned balance between legal and a good idea I meant like this: There are lots of things that are legal or can be legal that may not be such a great idea. But, I get that if we start trying to stop folks from having things that may not be a good idea, then we open a whole new can o worms.

I completely agree with you there. I have a Mustang GT and absolutely love it, but wouldn't necessarily recommend it for a 16 year old who got a driver's license last week.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Idunno about 1600-2200 for it, but for its intended purpose, I dont think the rifling would be a huge deal.
You're not talking long range...would be a CQB type rig out to MAYBE 100 yards but realistically less than 50...
They said 3-4MOA with nato 5.56 which isnt THAT much worse than NATO stuff through a regular barrel.

Not saying I'm getting one, but I cant say I'm necessarily "disappointed" in it.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
Just read that article, it corroborates the TFB article.

While I'm disappointed in the reveal, I have to give Franklin Armory credit for generating some excitement and interest in further emasculating the SBR requirements of the NFA. I won't buy a Reformation, and I don't see it being a bit hit for FA, but I don't think that was the point. If a Reformation and an 11.5" SBR were sitting on a table side by side, nobody not privy to the secret sauce could pick out the "non-SBR". To me, if reinforces the primal stupidity of SBR requirements without introducing the "intent to shoulder" stipulations of an AR pistol with a brace.

I love this video from MAC, and I see the Reformation as a variation on the NFA Nut Kicker theme.\

https://www.full30.com/video/af03cb45490d56506931ddb3c52817d7

I was thinking about this earlier, and I think the AR-15 has done to the firearms world what the SUV/Crossover and Minivan did to the automotive. It is now nearly impossible to define what is a car vs what is a truck.

We now have handguns that shoot shotgun rounds, rifles that shoot handgun rounds, handguns that shoot rifle rounds, modular guns that can be changed from one to the other in minutes at home with little or no tools required, handguns with optics, and things like the AR Pistols that don't really fit anything. It's a wonderful world for gun enthusiasts to live in, and the NFA can't make sense of it all because it's based on century old firearms technology and development that had clearly defined categories of weapons.

Idunno about 1600-2200 for it, but for its intended purpose, I dont think the rifling would be a huge deal.
You're not talking long range...would be a CQB type rig out to MAYBE 100 yards but realistically less than 50...
They said 3-4MOA with nato 5.56 which isnt THAT much worse than NATO stuff through a regular barrel.

Not saying I'm getting one, but I cant say I'm necessarily "disappointed" in it.

The article I read said 4-5" @ 100yds. They didn't state which ammo that was with (55gr, 62gr, etc). But typically, with heavier for caliber bullets you need faster and faster twist. So with lighter bullets, this would likely do better than it would with heavier bullets.

Last edited:

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Made me chuckle...

26992513_10213130977001671_1093502891367005015_n.jpg

D. Hargrove

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Well, I for one am disappointed. Was looking forward to some new cutting edge technology that appeared miracuously from deep space. I read the portion that the weapon would be delivered in 300BLK, a round designed in part to be sub-sonic and easily suppressed. In that case one must ask themselves if a suppressor is a NFA item when used on this weapon?

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
Here's what I just posted on one of the blogs:

The more I've thought about this, the more I appreciate the effort and difference this could serve to make. While I don't want this product, I think it serves a purpose. Just like Sig jumping in with SB Tactical and the pistol brace movement, this pushes the boundaries of "What is the purpose of SBR / NFA regulation?" It doesn't matter if performance is poor, sales are slow, or if it eventually fizzles and dies. We are blessed as a gun community to have established manufacturers poking at the cracks in the NFA regulations, which is FAR more effective than us posting on blogs and forums.

The way I thought about it, the AR15 has done to the gun market what the SUV craze did to the automotive. There are no lines anymore. What is an AR? A rifle? Yes. A handgun? Yes. A shotgun? Yes. A "firearm"? Yes. At first I laughed at the idea of the "MSR" or Modern Sporting Rifle, but then I realized this is brilliant. The AR went from "Evil Black Rifle" to spawning its own entire market segment of wildly popular rifles. Even my old fashioned father in law has talked about getting one.

How do you regulate a pile of parts that can be assembled and reassembled at home by anyone with a vice and some wrenches? Sure, the idea of modular guns wasn't pioneered by the AR15, but it has proliferated it.

Constructive intent is now a blur too. It is literally easier for me to unpin an upper from a pistol and pin it to a rifle lower than it would be for me to assemble an SBR from parts. Before the AR15 was common building an SBR would have much more frequently required gunsmithing.

We now have handguns that shoot shotgun rounds, rifles that shoot handgun rounds, handguns that shoot rifle rounds, modular guns that can be changed from one to the other in minutes at home with little or no tools required, handguns with optics, and things like the AR Pistols that don't really fit anything. It's a wonderful world for gun enthusiasts to live in, and the NFA can't make sense of it all because it's based on century old firearms technology and development that had clearly defined categories of weapons.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom