No More Private Farms

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That's the best financial move a farm kid can make though. Continuing on the family farm is risky, hard work, long days, risky, and did I mention risky for modest to low pay.
There is that old saying that farmers/ranchers are dirt rich and money poor.

n423

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah, hard to find someone to run the milkers 365 days a year, and I guess the owners didn't want to do it either lol.

I knew a rancher that had a dairy farm in Sweetwater and after 30+ yrs he got tired. Couldn't ever get away .
He bought a small convience store at Lake Eufaula. It was open 7 days a week but he hired help to work at store. They robbed him blind. We used to fish trotlines and for crappie.
Best hamburger meat I ever ate was his Holstein cows.

Last edited:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
or if you're a farmer, cash rent all your land and let someone else farm it lol.
That’s what I do now. There is a farmer in my area farming around 10,000 acres and he only owned 5 acres. Just enough to store his equipment on.
The mail box money keeps coming in every quarter like clockwork.

cowadle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
the AAA already has a pair of gmo cattle. i suspect that as this patented traces get mixed in with our cow herds the owners of the patent will lock down on us the same as they did with corn wheat beans etc. they will own the livestock one way or another. in my opinion we should utterly reject the idea of these patents.

Longstrider

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's the best financial move a farm kid can make though. Continuing on the family farm is risky, hard work, long days, risky, and did I mention risky for modest to low pay.
Growing up in rural Oklahoma our family farmed 40 acres at home and shared another 120 at my grandparents. That doesn’t sound like a lot but between my father and four boys there was plenty of work for everyone. We ran cattle and raised crops for them. Our home place was a menagerie of livestock, pigs, sheep, cattle and horses and chickens too. I don’t recall every being hungry or bored, being bored put a hoe in your hands. We weren’t rich but wanted for not.
Today there just aren’t very many little farms/farmers. Most have thousands of acres, with oil/gas royalty’s. They get large subsidies from the government = you and me. I don’t see too many big farmers hurting. It’s the part timers that are and will struggle.
SSDD

alnpar

Old Truckers Never Die
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sad thing about losing farmland is the children of farmers don't want to put in the effort it takes to work hard and keep the land in the family so the farmer sells the land to developers in most cases for millions of dollars. Where we live used to be farm land with the main crops being sugar beets, corn and wheat. Now today that land is all sub divisions. One can't really blame the farmers who worked all their lives to help feed this Nation to take their money from the sale of their land and enjoy the rest of their lives on easy street as their kids turn into woke zombies.
Seems our government is allowing foreign countries to buy up all the land including farmers and ranchers now! This should be a NO NO!

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Growing up in rural Oklahoma our family farmed 40 acres at home and shared another 120 at my grandparents. That doesn’t sound like a lot but between my father and four boys there was plenty of work for everyone. We ran cattle and raised crops for them. Our home place was a menagerie of livestock, pigs, sheep, cattle and horses and chickens too. I don’t recall every being hungry or bored, being bored put a hoe in your hands. We weren’t rich but wanted for not.
Today there just aren’t very many little farms/farmers. Most have thousands of acres, with oil/gas royalty’s. They get large subsidies from the government = you and me. I don’t see too many big farmers hurting. It’s the part timers that are and will struggle.
SSDD
Yes very correct. Larger the operation the greater chance of oil money as well. All the operations I know of that are pretty worry free get mailbox money as well.

Latest posts

Top Bottom