Now that muzzleloading season is over...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZMan762x51

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've really been happy with the triple 7 pellets. Cleans up fairly easy with water. I heat up some water in a pan and after removing the breach plug I can set the muzzle down into the hot water and insert the rod with a patch down the breach to act like a syringe and pull the hot water up into the barrel. About as easy as it gets. It's nice having a stainless barrel as well.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
...did you properly clean and store your smokepole?

Did you thoroughly scrub the bore with HOT water and maybe some soap?

Did you thoroughly dry the barrel?

Did you wipe it down, inside and out with Bore Butter, Ballistol, or even Crisco?

Did you clean and lube the nipple threads with Bore Butter, Ballistol, or even Crisco?

Did you clean the flash channel with a tip cleaner or nipple pick?

If not, you better get it out of the closet and do it again.

If you cleaned with Hoppe's #9, or any of the other smokeless powder solvents, you better get it out and do again as described above.

Unless you want to buy a new one for next year.

No I did not. My Savage ML shoots smokeless powder:) But......................................in order to redeem myself somewhat, I have cleaned my flintlock. I use Windex instead of hot soapy water though. A BPCR shooter taught me that years ago, and have using that method for quite a few years now.

Haven't cleaned my Savage Smokeless in about 6 years. It only gets a few shots a year, and it maintains its accuracy, so its not needed. In fact, the round that is loaded into it will be used for my cold bore shot next year.

Pulp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
C'mon guys, smokeless powder muzzleloaders??? That's kinda like takin' a shower while wearing a raincoat. Or washing your hands with gloves on. Or eating jalapenos with the seeds removed. Oops, bad example, I can barely eat jalapenos anyway!

Just givin' y'all a hard time, shoot what makes you happy!

Cedar Creek

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I sighted my rifle in with a new scope, then went through the cleaning procedure pretty much as described. Due to dr. appt, family activities, and home improvement projects I didn't get to make it to LeFlore County to hunt as planned, but I loaded my rifle and headed out for an afternoon hunt on some trust land not far from our house. When I got there the place was invaded by four jackwagons - the land owner's husband had given one of his co-worker's permission to hunt with specific instructions from both of them that he and I were the only two with permission to be on the place. So he brings who knows how many s***heads anyway - but I guess that's another story. Anyway- I had already loaded my rifle with pyrodex pellets and a bullet, so I have to decide whether to unload it or just wait and fire it for my sight in shot next fall.

Cedar Creek

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I THINK I want a flintlock. I might quit thinking that the first time I ever get to shoot one.

I really enjoy shooting it, the cleaning, not so much. As far as flash delay, there is a "right" amount for the pan, it's not a more is better issue. I fill mine about half full with 4F, close the frizn, rotate the gun to the left to allow some 4F into the hole, and then proceed to shoot like normal. There really is very little delay. It definately teaches you to keep your eye on target, and cheek on the stock until the gun fires. Mine is a cheapy from BP that I bought 20 years ago. It was in Springfield across the parking lot from the the main store there was a BP bargain/returns/damaged goods store. I think I only paid $75 for it..............I should have bought several!

Latest posts

Top Bottom