Obama sending troops to aid Africa anti-insurgency

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If I had to guess, and that's all it is, is a GUESS. I'd say that the 100 troops are Special Forces types and part of their job is to teach people in other countries how to fight wars in their own countries.

Shootin 4 Fun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You can define "SPARE SOLDIER" (google is not helping) or you can continue sinking with personal attacks.

, but the term was used in the context of additional soldiers who aren't busy fighting other battles or recovering from their time spent in battle.

Last edited by a moderator:

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm awake again. It's amazing how these threads can degenerate into insults and name-calling. Of all the forums I visit, I like OSA the best. However, this is the one aspect of OSA I dislike the most. I think I'll go back to bed.

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I normally would agree with isolation

Again - this is not isolationism - it's non-interventionism. Big difference, and the same false rhetoric people use with Ron Paul. Staying the hell out of other's business isn't isolationism. I'm not an isolationist because I don't butt into my neighbor's arguments. Because of this I stay on much better terms with my neighbors than I would if I intervened and tried to solve their problems for them. The U.S. needs a lesson in this.

As for the original topic, I understand and can appreciate the premise, and the fact that it's a small band of hoods terrorizing folks. But there is so much of this in Africa from small bands to large armies - where do you draw the line? Maybe Russia or China should send small outfits of troops into Compton, etc., to handle our gang violence, since we seem to be powerless to stop the victimization of people in the neighborhoods where they conduct their actions.

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
After reading all 5 pages of this thread my stance is that sending 100 of the right people, with the right objective, can make a difference. However, notice I said make a difference, not stop all bloodshed and rape on an entire continent.

Really, what we need to do is help these African countries setup their own trained militia. Send over 20 guys with extensive military experience to teach at a training facility for their military. The number of facilities needed I don't know but 20 per, possibly less would be enough. They don't need to do any direct fighting or get directly involved in any conflict at all. And when I say direct, I mean no bullet fired by a member of the US Armed Forces that strikes an African Rebel.

Whether or not this is what we are doing I don't know. What I don't think we should piggyback onto this is sending over arms and ammunition for the African's to fight with. History has shown us that almost always bites us at some point in the future. Make their governments buy their own. If they really want to be a peaceful country, invest in it. This is where the wanting to help yourself comes into play.

Whoever we send over there give them bushels of Trojans, we don't need to bring any of that home.

sanjuro893

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
After reading all 5 pages of this thread my stance is that sending 100 of the right people, with the right objective, can make a difference. However, notice I said make a difference, not stop all bloodshed and rape on an entire continent.

Really, what we need to do is help these African countries setup their own trained militia. Send over 20 guys with extensive military experience to teach at a training facility for their military. The number of facilities needed I don't know but 20 per, possibly less would be enough. They don't need to do any direct fighting or get directly involved in any conflict at all. And when I say direct, I mean no bullet fired by a member of the US Armed Forces that strikes an African Rebel.

Whether or not this is what we are doing I don't know. What I don't think we should piggyback onto this is sending over arms and ammunition for the African's to fight with. History has shown us that almost always bites us at some point in the future. Make their governments buy their own. If they really want to be a peaceful country, invest in it. This is where the wanting to help yourself comes into play.

Whoever we send over there give them bushels of Trojans, we don't need to bring any of that home.

+1 on this. I don't think we can be the world's police force, but this Joseph Kony guy who leads this group is an absolute psychopath. To just sit back and do nothing when we have a chance to make an actual difference only makes the entire world a worse place to live. Just my opinion.

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
, but the term was used in the context of additional soldiers who aren't busy fighting other battles or recovering from their time spent in battle. .

Back on topic:
Let me get this right:
Bush sends 100 thousand soldiers at cost of $1 trillion to invade Iraq with questionable motives and results - "heck, yeah, I love cheap gas!"
Obama sends 100 soldiers to actually do some good - "My children are starving".
Be what you are, do what you do - pretending to care about someone as an excuse not to help someone else is a hypocritical low in my book.

I completely disagree with "World Police" position that United States is put in - basically invasion and occupation of other countries is something we shouldn't do; however, showing a token of giving a damn where evil prospers to the fullest, even as a political stunt, will make a difference.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Top Bottom