Oil capital steel challenge this Saturday?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ijphater

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hi, sorry I'm new to the forums, sorry if there is a spot with this information.

I would like to come shoot a steel challenge at a local match. What gear do I need for rim fire and or center fire? Can I come as a newbie?

Is the match still on for this saturday? Thank you In advance for the help!

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For either, you really need 5 magazines. For rimfire, you need a handgun carrying case and for centerfire you need a holster. That's pretty much it. If you're just starting out, I'd suggest doing rimfire.

Ijphater

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thank you, I would like to start with rimfire to get comfortable. I'll need to grab some extra mags for my buckmark. Hopefully I can make it out to a match in a week or two. Thank you,

AtomicTango

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Don't be bashful, give center fire a go as well. It's only $5 extra to shoot a second gun. I use my glock 19, which is certainly no race gun but it works well enough and I get more proficient with it each match.

Rimfire is a blast.

AtomicTango

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Also the oil capital match is the fourth Sunday each month, so the next one will be the 23rd. Also, USSA had one the first Sunday of each month. So you have a couple weeks to find a few mags.

It's very beginner friendly, people will answer your questions and help you out.

Ijphater

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thank you all, I may give the center fire a go as well. I think I have 5 mags for my g34 and holster mag pouches, so I'll try to have gear for both. I'm not worried about being competitive till I learn the pace and safety of the course of fire. Thanks all for the help, I'll try to make the 23rd.

Ijphater

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
You won't regret it, it is a tac driver. It shoots much better than I am capible! It is a gen 3, I got it right before the gen 4's were coming out for it. The stock sights weren't too bad but I put a set of Dawson precision fiber optic sights on it and it adds a good deal of clarity to your sight picture. I think it is the nicest glock they make, everyone should have 2.:-)

AtomicTango

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A gentleman at 2a let me shoot his a while back and I liked it quite a bit. He had me shooting a bullseye target all the way out. Even my mediocre pistol skills hit black.

Latest posts

Top Bottom