OKC police say no to Glock 40 cal

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Quote "I am not sure about a Jam due to frame flexing that caused the death of an OKC officer but if thats what they deemed was the case I would expect them to change something.DestructoJr"

I,m sorry, I said one of there own.It was an officer from Fla.I should have clarified that.Sorry!

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Funny you guys mention this. I was getting ready to start a thread. I had my relatively new G22RTF throw my Insight XTI Procyon from the rail after shooting Fed 180gr HST. I then noticed that the light would come loose off the rail or would lose retention after one round of HST. It would take 5-6 rounds of normal Blazer Brass but it would happen still. I have a Surefire X200 that I used on an older G22 with no problems. Not sure what to do.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Funny you guys mention this. I was getting ready to start a thread. I had my relatively new G22RTF throw my Insight XTI Procyon from the rail after shooting Fed 180gr HST. I then noticed that the light would come loose off the rail or would lose retention after one round of HST. It would take 5-6 rounds of normal Blazer Brass but it would happen still. I have a Surefire X200 that I used on an older G22 with no problems. Not sure what to do.

That's odd - I thought the X200s were specifically the lights causing the older G22s their problems - I thought I remember reading that it was specifically larger rigid weapon lights that caused the hickup in the G22 platform.

I wonder if the fix is for the G22 to become sentient and body-slam the weapon-lights as it screams "Say my Name!"
:laughup:

cheech_029

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was told that after an extensive evaluation and review that OKC PD decided to remove the 40 cal Glocks from their approval list.

Glock advised they were replacing OKC PD’s Glock 22’s with the Glock 17, Glock 21, and Glock 21SF, with the majority being the Glock 21SF.

That is correct, there was a load failure problem and these are the models offered. The newest academy was issued the 17 and almost everyone else chose to switch to the 21SF. Or you can switch back to the S&W Model 627 .357 revolver. In any case you have to switch out your rig and re-qualify with whatever you carry.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The Glock-22 seems to be Glock's problem child. I have read and heard more stories about this model having more problems than any other model they make.

Kiyot

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
From what I've heard it was a problem with the frame flexing and that the glock light issued to the new guys causing problems with the frame. Glock 22's and 23's have been removed from the approved list. I had heard about a slo-mo video showing the slide lock (not the slide stop) moving up and down during the firing of the gun, that was possibly was causing the problem. IIRC one of the fixes was using a #11 follower to keep the next round from nose diving. But supposedly the problem persisted. A bunch of the officers that wanted to pay for new holsters and mag pouches went to the Glock 21/21SF, others went with the Glock 17/19 because they could use their existing .40 cal equipment.

As far as I've heard an OCPD officer never died due to this, as someone said. The last one to die was due to some POS that chose to run from police. Supposedly though there was an incident where an officer had thier gun "jam" after firing one round. That was due to them detail stripping a 3 pin Glock and rebuilding it back incorrectly. This had nothing to do with it being a .40 cal though. A spring was reinstalled incorrectly and ended up putting force on the slide stop, so when one shot was fired it was as if it was the last shot in a magazine and was pushing the slide stop up and locked the slide back. All that was needed was to push the slide lock down and rack the slide again to chamber the next round, but you would have to do this for each shot. A good reason why I would only have my CCL gun detail cleaned by a profesional such as Olyeller (shameless plug) and even then woud atleast run a couple magazines through it.

B96brig4CC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I thought OKCPD said no to issued .40 glocks. If you go buy one, you are more than welcome to use it as a service pistol, however OKCPD wont reimburse.

You are correct. You can carry whatever you want as long as it 9mm or better. You also have to qualify with it. Same goes with your back-up.

Most officers I have seen carry the issued 21sf now. But one officer I know carries an XDm-40 bi-tone as his duty.

Latest posts

Top Bottom