OKC police say no to Glock 40 cal

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Went shooting today with my son in law who is a OKC policeman.He tells
me the dept pulled all 40 cal glocks.The reason was they were made on a
9 mm frame.

The only glocks they are allowed are 9mm or 45 cal which frame must be
heavier.Hummmmmmmmmmm:puke:

Burk Cornelius

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Went shooting today with my son in law who is a OKC policeman.He tells
me the dept pulled all 40 cal glocks.The reason was they were made on a
9 mm frame.

The only glocks they are allowed are 9mm or 45 cal which frame must be
heavier.Hummmmmmmmmmm:puke:

That story doesn't even make sense. I'm not doubting you, just saying that doesn't make sense.

BC

DestructoJr

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
OKCPD said no to 40 cal Glocks because they won't run when you put a light on them.

I have not had a problem with my glock 22c and a streamlight TLR-1 and I have fired 1000's of rounds if not tens of thousands.

I think the problem with OKC is they shoot like a 195 grain bullet or something on the larger end of the spectrum of the .40

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I shot qualifications at the OCPD range earlier this year and they were all turning in their Glock 22's and being reissued new Glock 22's. One of the instructors told me that they had had multiple malfunctions with Glock 22's with lights mounted on them. They didn't know why they were having the malfunctions, but Glock was trading out their guns.

Not long after this they were talking about changing to either the S&W M&P or the Springfield Armory pistols. I don't know what happened after that.

jej

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The glock forum at stopping power has a 12 page long thread on problems with the glock .40 including several departments that have done recalls.

OTOH, I talked to a tulsa PD guy who says he shoots 20,000 rounds a year in his glock 40 with no problems.

I have a glock 9 - works great, except for the time I tried to run it dry.

jej

Fly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well from what I heard was there was a jam that cost a life of on of there
own.They did a research & in a video of the weapon firing it showed it in slow motion the
polymer frame flexing.Now that's what he said.The 45 must be stronger if that's
the case.I'm sure there are many that have never had a problem.

But I'm sure they feel it's could be a problem, even if it may not & want to
be sure.Maybe some one can check into this more.

centraloklahoma

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In July 2009 I attended the Glock Armorer’s course for work.

It was taught by Mr. Goldsmith and Mr. Keeping.

It had been 10 years since I had last attended the course.

I specifically inquired about the situation with the Oklahoma City Police Departments problems with their issue Glock 22 pistols as my work currently issues the Glock 22C.

Mr. Keeping provided the following information:

The latest academy at OKC PD was having issues with their new Glock 22’s. I believe the issue weapon light was a model of Surefire brand and that the ammunition being issued was the 180 grain Speer Gold Dot. I do not know what the training ammunition was.

One of the problems they were having was upon ejecting a spent cartridge the magazines would allow a new round to pop free just and as the slide went forward it stripped off the next live round ending in two rounds competing to get into the same chamber, resulting in a malfunction.

One observed correction for the problem was changing the ammunition from 180 grain to either 165 or 155 grain.

Other suggested solutions were to change the recoil spring every 5,000 rounds.

Mr. Keeping advised that the field representatives had just been provided a new improved model of the Glock 22 magazine for testing, but he had not yet used it.

He did not provide anyone in the class access to the magazine nor did he elaborate on any changes in its design.

I was told that after an extensive evaluation and review that OKC PD decided to remove the 40 cal Glocks from their approval list.

Glock advised they were replacing OKC PD’s Glock 22’s with the Glock 17, Glock 21, and Glock 21SF, with the majority being the Glock 21SF.

I have carried three versions of the Glock in the last 13 years. These have been the Glock 17, 19, and 22C. I have been fortunate to not have had any issues.

In the past six years I have carried a Glock 22C with either one of the following lights; Streamlight M3 Streamlight TRL-1, and Insight XTI Procyon.

Duty and qualification ammunition used has been Speer Gold Dot 155 or 165 grain. Training ammunition has been Speer 155 or 165 FMJ.

I conservatively estimate that I have fired an average of 300-400 rounds a month without any issues.

The agency I work for and the adjacent one both issue the Glock 22C, fielding a combined number in excess of 200 weapons.

I have not heard of any issues locally with the Glock 22C as compared to what has been reported with the Glock 22.

CP

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I thought OKCPD said no to issued .40 glocks. If you go buy one, you are more than welcome to use it as a service pistol, however OKCPD wont reimburse.

DestructoJr

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well from what I heard was there was a jam that cost a life of on of there
own.They did a research & in a video of the weapon firing it showed it in slow motion the
polymer frame flexing.Now that's what he said.The 45 must be stronger if that's
the case.I'm sure there are many that have never had a problem.

But I'm sure they feel it's could be a problem, even if it may not & want to
be sure.Maybe some one can check into this more.

Yes polymer frames flex, any polymer frame is going to flex...thats the nature of the design that allows them to be extremely reliable, Polymer frame handguns are similar to AK's loose tolerances with sacraficed accuracy for reliable and dependable performance. Metal frame semi-auto handguns like 1911's have tighter tolerances for increased accuracy and consistancy under ideal conditions, obviously for police work weapons that are carried in all environmental conditions a higher reliabilty rate would be ideal as most law enforcement shooting situations occur at shorter distances in low light situations. In a LE capactiy jams can be deadly, I am not sure about a Jam due to frame flexing that caused the death of an OKC officer but if thats what they deemed was the case I would expect them to change something.

In my experience I have not seen the glock 22/22c preform poorly with exceptions to ammunition issues, I know that the glock 22c does not like certain types of ammo like the Lawman 165g series by speer, don't know why just seems to jam up, as with any practice ammo typically the overall round length might be shorter or longer, ever so slightly as quality control is not as high to keep cost down, the different length cases hit the feed ramp at different angles, if the case is too short it hits too low and jams and vice versa if the round is too long.

Latest posts

Top Bottom