Oklahoma farms supply roosters to Guam

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobbyV

Are you serious?
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My grandpa would've probably been on this list if he were still around.

Link

OKLAHOMA CITY (KFOR) – Former Oklahoma Attorney General Drew Edmondson is calling for an investigation into three Oklahoma game farms.

He says those three farms are responsible for shipping more than 3,100 rooster to the U.S. territory of Guam for cock fighting.

“Of the top five shippers of fighting roosters, three of these are here in Oklahoma,” Edmondson said. “The ratio of roosters to hens are anywhere from ten to one, to 100 to one. That indicates that it’s not brood stock at all. It’s intended for fighting rings of Guam.”

Edmondson is now the co-chair of the National Law Enforcement Council.

Along with Animal Wellness Action and the Kirkpatrick Foundation, Edmondson says farms in Heavener, Stigler, and Tahlequah have sent thousands of fighting rooster to Guam claiming they were for something else.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When we moved here from Texas in the mid '70s, cockfighting was common. You couldn't drive very far in Marshall county rural areas without seeing several game farms.

At least 3 of my customers and one guy I worked with raised & fought 'em.

BobbyV

Are you serious?
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When we moved here from Texas in the mid '70s, cockfighting was common. You couldn't drive very far in Marshall county rural areas without seeing several game farms.

At least 3 of my customers and one guy I worked with raised & fought 'em.

There was a fighting pit not far from where my dad was raised in Wolf. My grandpa was always fighting 'em or betting on the fights.

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I remember there being a few cock farms spread around Ponca City around the turn of the century. Had chickens chained to poles and those blue plastic drums for each of em. Thought it was only illegal to fight em, didn't know raising them was against the law too.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I remember there being a few cock farms spread around Ponca City around the turn of the century. Had chickens chained to poles and those blue plastic drums for each of em. Thought it was only illegal to fight em, didn't know raising them was against the law too.
It is now. One of the biggest pits was over by Marland. Guy was the Kay County tiger king. He raised and sold big cats. Used the chicken fighting to supply the cats with the defeated roosters. When they outlawed fighting them he got out of the big cat business. Too expensive to feed them out of the back pocket. He died last year.

Latest posts

Top Bottom