Oklahoma State and Oklahoma Section Matches

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

No.343

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think Mike Pinto is still the Oklahoma D Class Limited Champion. How many years has he held that title? If I remember correctly Phil ran that match at USSA. It was a trophy only match and we didn't even have dedicated ROs. I shot the Alabama Section match this year and it sounds a lot like what David described. I've shot matches at several clubs in Alabama, so I recognized the different match directors, because many were dedicated ROs for their stages. I'm not implying that any one person needs to be a dedicated RO. I'm sure that there are plenty of us willing to help.

I would love to see another Ok Sectional Match.

David E

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think we have the people to support it.

So do I.

that's why I got so frustrated when the response was, "It's too much work for our club..." as I knew there is plenty of help available.....they only need to be asked.

I'll say right here: I volunteer to design and set up at least two stages. If there is anything else I can do, let me know.

(maybe we should start a thread where people say what they'll commit to helping with. WE CAN MAKE THIS HAPPEN, people!!!)

jeffsoward

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I could promise at least two people for data entry; my wife and my oldest son.
I would help with setup and tear down.
I don't know much about stage design, but I'd bet there are a few who'd give it a go.
I agree, there's enough people here willing to pitch in to make a match like this a smooth and fun event.
My only suggestion would be that it would HAVE TO BE a cooperative effort led by a single coordinator. You know the old saying about too many roosters in the hen house...

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm not in USPSA, but I'll chime in here because it's a pet peeve of mine. I've been working, RO/SO'ing, designing stages, getting prizes, setting up and running local, state, regional and National Championship matches for over 10 years now. I shot the 2000 IDPA Nationals and the next year, I ran a stage of my own design at the 2001 Nationals. I've been the Asst. Match director for 4 state championships and about as many regional matches. I was the asst. MD for the IDPA Nationals last year, will be again this year and most likely will be for the 1st IDPA World Shoot next year.

In all that time, I've seen a lot of good volunteers fall by the wayside for a number of reasons. First, many of the clubs hosting these events don't have a personal stake in their continued success (the matches). If they have to lift a finger to make it happen, they grumble and grouse about it and generally consider it to be more trouble than it's worth.

Second, you can wear out your volunteers if you're not careful. It doesn't even take a major match for those very few individuals that do the heavy lifting to get burned out. You have to take as much load off them as possible and then keep them happy and feeling appreciated.

Third, you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make them drink. For every guy you find who's willing to help out, there are 9 others who flee the range as soon as their last shots are fired. If you find a person who's willing to help, you have to cultivate that and give them the training and authority to handle the responsibility.

I'd dearly love to have someone step in and assume the roles that I fill in running matches so I could at least take a break. I haven't found a willing person yet. At some point, I'll step down and see if it flies without my help. It either will or it won't. I sure hope it does.

To get a major match off the ground and running requires a lot of determination and team building. It can't be a one man show and at the same time, you have to have one person keeping an eye on the big picture to make sure that everything gets done before the match starts. I hope you guys get it back up and running. I think it's worth the effort!

David E

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There is a balance, to be sure.

For example, I don't know who gets the money from the match fees.

Is USSA hosted it, would the MD and vital club volunteers get any extra compensation? If not, it's easy to see why no one wants to make any extra work for themselves.

Still, holding monthly matches is far different from holding one annual match. Since we've not had a State match since 2008 (and then, I don't think all divisions were represented) I think there are enough people to pull together to make one happen this year......but this year is almost over, so if it's going to happen, then it needs to start happening soon.

The first thing we need is a range to hold the match at.........

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Most ranges get a cut of the entry fees, but I have seen it where the MD pays the club a set fee to hold the match and keeps anything left over (which usually doesn't happen). Volunteers rarely get any compensation, but they're usually entered in a volunteer only drawing for a gun(s) and or other prizes set aside for that purpose.

David E

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Until we get a range to host any State match, most of this talk is moot.

Altho, it might encourage some club leaders to see how much help they'd get. All they need to do is ask.

Curly

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just a quick note,I have been apart of the Sectional running and putting on.The main thing as I see it is a MD that has the time to coordinate with the other clubs and thats if they even want to participate.
On the other hand,look at what was just said in this thread,you can't make Double Tap,beacause of Ozark,I can't make Ark. 3 Gun Because I am going to Mississipi 3 Gun 2nd week of Oct. and Memphis revolver invatational the first week of Nov. and the there is Ft. Benning First week of Dec. and then there is Mystry Mnt. in AZ in March or April the there is the High plains Shooting Competion in there and then Area4 which will probably be shot somewhere in OK. if Phil wins which he is uncontested,then Double Tap again then Texas Limited also,Texas State Carbine match down south.Now we have the Question,Just when would you like to run yourOklahoma State/Sectional,MR.MD JESSE

cernstus

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I for one, not being able to travel that much, think a state match would be alot of fun. By the way curly, what are you doing at ft. benning? I did basic and airborne school there.

Latest posts

Top Bottom