old percussion pistol from Afghanistan?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
old percussion pistol from Afghanistan... I think... or at least that's the story. a soldier brought it back from Afghanistan.

anyone know history about this type pistol?
barrels are crudely constructed, workmanship looks like it came from a third world country. inlaid mother of pearl... loads of hours went into artwork.

edit: looks like this is one of those new made to look old pistols made for servicemen. story about how it got here is probably real, but pistol is junk.
good only for a wall hanger.

ahome.tulsaconnect.com_toug_cpf_afgan.JPG

ahome.tulsaconnect.com_toug_cpf_afgan2.JPG

ahome.tulsaconnect.com_toug_cpf_afgan4.JPG

ahome.tulsaconnect.com_toug_cpf_afgan6.JPG

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Back in 1967-68, I was stationed at a base near Peshawar, Pakistan. Some of us took an occasional 3 day pass and flew to Kabul, Afghanistan. The first ones that went brought back "Camel Guns" (that I believe they name due to the curved butt-stock) that were cap and ball rifles. When I made my trip, I talked with a number of the Army personnel stationed at the US embassy in Kabul.

They explained that many of the merchants went out into the country where battles had been fought and picked up all kinds of weapons. In most cases, the time involved that weapons had been somewhat buried, the wooden stocks had deteriorated away. Then the merchants would fashion new stocks to add to the barrel and action pieces.

I came away with a "Camel Gun" that could really be considered a carbine, since it was shorter than the ones seen in the linked article. I also purchased a saber, shield (definitely a replica, but authentic ones with saber marks on them could have been had as well), powder horn, powder measure (think like old balance scale but hand held) and a weapon tool with awl, hammer and screwdriver-like blade. Believe it or not, all the above for about $10.

While it was common to see cap and ball rifles with wood engraving, I don't recall seeing any with pearl inlays.

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
lots of unofficial gun manufacturers in the part of the world. Aren't you all glad that we have to have permission to do anything even resembling it.

angsniper

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
It seems there is a buttload of enfield rifles and pistols in Afghanistan. Every tour in country we had peddlers trying to sell us these rifles/pistols. The bazaars are full of them, right next to the "Rolex" watches. They were some old paper cartridge caliber if I remember right.

Latest posts

Top Bottom