Old rasp found in a barn + hickory from Arbuckle Mountians = ugly knife

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

10Seconds

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I love it, the textures on the blade and even on the top and bottom of the knife really make it.

And bonus points for using words like rasp and stave too.

zipty6

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That looks like a very handy blade.

How long have you been making knives? The pattern and style bear strong resemblance to a pair of knives I have. My grandmother bought them from an in-state maker almost 20 years ago.

randallss7

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That looks like a very handy blade.

How long have you been making knives? The pattern and style bear strong resemblance to a pair of knives I have. My grandmother bought them from an in-state maker almost 20 years ago.

I have been doing it on and off since I was about 12 or so can't remember for sure I'm 40 this year, I have really only been selling them for a little over a year, previous I would make 2 or 3 knives a year and most of the time just give them away to friends and such.

randallss7

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
OK I found time to finish the sheath for this knife it is all ready.

i1248.photobucket.com_albums_hh487_randallss7_DSCF1865_zps271cc081.jpg

i1248.photobucket.com_albums_hh487_randallss7_DSCF1867_zps906db2dc.jpg

i1248.photobucket.com_albums_hh487_randallss7_DSCF1868_zpsc70abbb9.jpg

i1248.photobucket.com_albums_hh487_randallss7_DSCF1869_zps0354769c.jpg

elance

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
my chickens scratched out an old rusty rasp a couple years ago, i made a knife from it . amazing how it polished up and holds a shine . i used 1911 grips for the handles . mine is not near the quality yours turned out to be . but i was pleased someone had same ideal .
elance

randallss7

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
my chickens scratched out an old rusty rasp a couple years ago, i made a knife from it . amazing how it polished up and holds a shine . i used 1911 grips for the handles . mine is not near the quality yours turned out to be . but i was pleased someone had same ideal .
elance

I bet it was just fine.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Beautiful blade! I love the look.

My dad made a knife from a file in WWII while on a floating dry dock in China.
The handle was made from leather valve stem gaskets. It had never been anealed, so when I dropped it, the knife broke. I was sick.

randallss7

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Beautiful blade! I love the look.

My dad made a knife from a file in WWII while on a floating dry dock in China.
The handle was made from leather valve stem gaskets. It had never been anealed, so when I dropped it, the knife broke. I was sick.

files are to hard unless you temper them back, same as any tool steel after the quench. I run all my tool steel blades through the temper oven 3 times 90minutes each run with a natural cool down between each run. Temperature depends on steel and how hard/soft i want to make the particular blade. When I was a kid and didn't have access to all the tools I have now, i would water grind files to a knife, then use a propane torch to heat the spine to a blue colour and let the heat work its way down to the edge, not very scientific but I made some good knives still in use today 25 years later.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
files are to hard unless you temper them back, same as any tool steel after the quench. I run all my tool steel blades through the temper oven 3 times 90minutes each run with a natural cool down between each run. Temperature depends on steel and how hard/soft i want to make the particular blade. When I was a kid and didn't have access to all the tools I have now, i would water grind files to a knife, then use a propane torch to heat the spine to a blue colour and let the heat work its way down to the edge, not very scientific but I made some good knives still in use today 25 years later.

Great info! Thanks.

Latest posts

Top Bottom