On the hunt for a couple Smith Corona 03A3 parts.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I picked up a very nice late production SC 03A3 over the weekend and am trying to track down the following parts to make it more correct as it currently has a few milled parts installed.

Large bow stamped SC trigger guard (unmarked, round cutout around front screw hole, Remington version has square cutout)
Lower band and sling swivel (unmarked)
Upper band and stacking swivel (unmarked)
Bayonet band (unmarked or with an S stamp on the inside)

If anyone has any of these spare parts please feel free to contact me via pm. :patriot:

Last edited:

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't believe I have any of those parts, but I hope you'll be posting pics of this latest find :)

Thanks Perplexed...I can probably post some photos this evening. I was going to wait until I added the correct parts, but I guess it isn't that big of deal.

The rifle has what looks to be the original barrel that measures a little less than 1 on the MW (I wasn't able to check the TE), a very nice looking Keystone scant stock, and what looks to be the original late production SC parkerized finish (gray / olive color). Someone added the milled 1903 parts at some point, but they are worth more than the stamped 03A3 parts so I figured I could always sell the milled parts to recoup the money or work out a trade deal. If I can pick up the parts noted above, I believe I will only need to replace the safety as it is a Remington 03A3 part. The bolt is SC but I have not checked the sleeve and cocking piece. I'm not going to go to crazy with trying to make everything correct since the stock is a USGI replacement, and not the original straight stock.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That looks like a lovely example; too bad the stock isn't original, as the grain is great. I'm not at all surprised by the low MW, as by the mid- to late-war years, the 03A3 was being used less and less in combat, and some of these rifles went straight from the factory to Stateside arsenals, where they saw little or no use until they were surplused out. Odd that yours wouldn't have the original stock; I wonder what happened during the rifle's lifetime that it was replaced. Maybe a soldier was told to do something instead of sitting around? :wink2:

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That looks like a lovely example; too bad the stock isn't original, as the grain is great. I'm not at all surprised by the low MW, as by the mid- to late-war years, the 03A3 was being used less and less in combat, and some of these rifles went straight from the factory to Stateside arsenals, where they saw little or no use until they were surplused out. Odd that yours wouldn't have the original stock; I wonder what happened during the rifle's lifetime that it was replaced. Maybe a soldier was told to do something instead of sitting around? :wink2:

I was honestly a little worried that it was a recovered drill rifle due to the mixed up parts, but after disassembling it everything looked clean and original so I went ahead and picked her up. With the metal finish being in such good condition, it's hard to believe that the original stock was replaced just due to it being beat up. I'm thinking that someone prefered the scant stock profile over the straight stock and replaced the stamped metal parts when they made the swap. The milled parts look nearly perfect so I should be able to purchase the correct stamped parts, sell the milled parts at a nice profit, and come out a little ahead on the deal.

I ended up swapping my No 4 MK II straight across for the rifle and a new in package CMP stamped Turner 1907 sling. Here's where you're going to hate me...I was offered the SC or a 5.6 HRA with an LMR barrel and Overton birch replacement stock. The MW gauged at a 1.5 and everything on the rifle looked correct with the exception of the op rod, bolt, and trigger guard (trigger group was correct). The Garand was obviously the better deal of the two and I could have easily traded it for a more correct 1903 or 1903A3, but I just really liked the SC and figured that it should make an excellent shooter.

Latest posts

Top Bottom