Oops... Osprey HGMR red/green holo-sight

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seedy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well...I think I might have got suckered at the big W...

I picked up some iron sights for my new AR, got a good deal with a Pmag thrown in to boot...

...then I came across the Georgia Optics table, and I think a good salesman "got" me. I bought their newest version of the below optic:
http://www.georgiaoptics.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=15_16&products_id=192

http://www.osprey-optics.com/holographic-sights/osprey-hgmr.html

I was told the sight has a lifetime warranty. Now, for the price($160 :drooling: oops), I am NOT expecting Eotech quality...but I was pretty shocked when I got it home to mount it and discovered that I can SEE the exposed soldered tips of the electronics and the circuit board between the mount and the main part of the sight! No freaking way this thing is waterproof!

I haven't had the chance to sight it in or shoot with it (hopefully this weekend)...

Doing a search of the forums...I also ran across this thread:
http://www.okshooters.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73867&highlight=osprey

Any body else out there have/had one of these?...or are you too embarrassed to admit it?

So...how bad did I do? It seems to cowitness nicely with the BUIS I picked up...but I have real concerns about its durability and reliability and wondering if it wouldn't be more appropriate on my sons .22 than my AR.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I hear some good things on the net about Osprey's Chinese-made etched glass products, but their holographic and red-dots apparently suck.

Sorry man - I learned the hard way long time ago not to buy anything that was "unknown" at a gunshow unless I was totally willing to risk that it is pure crap.

Those guys are banking on the fact that you're more than likely only going to be there for one day and might not even remember who you bought it from; and if you do, you'll never be a walk-in customer again (if they're from out of state), and there are craploads of Tacti-cool / super-secret-government-contract / ninja optics out there that for some reason you've never seen or heard anything about until you got to the show - and that same place has all the perfect mounts for it for only $35!!!!!

We've all been "that guy" that got screwed at one point or another man - don't feel bad, my first bad gunshow decision was on an NcStar red-dot with mount for a Ruger Mini-14 that cost me about $135 and lasted less than 50rds before the solder for the battery-compartment broke and fell apart (then the windage knob broke) and the mount they sold me with it was always as solid as can be for about 10-20rds before it needed adjusting.

Now no one can know everything, so sometimes you take that risk, but I've found that especially with electronics and mounts (and especially at a gun show), if it sounds too good to be true, then it probably is.

I noticed at this particular gun show that a lot of the vendors who sell high-quality stuff weren't there and there were a crapload of tactical / airsoft-quality products being sold left and right.

Wormydog1724

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I saw 5 or 6 booths that held up to my quality expectations ( in the AR world of things). All the other booths were selling CRAPOLA. Anything UTG, NCStar, BSA, Barska, Condor, Voodoo tactical, fake eotechs & aimpoints, and anything else that looks like ****, probably is. I will probably never have to go to war with my rifle, but I want it to be ready to. No point, at least in my eyes, to skimp on something that could help save my life. Again, the scenario for using my rifle in a TEOTWAWKI or SHTF or Zombiepocalypse isn't likely, but its nice to know it will perform if needed.

Sorry you got suckered. Might be a good habit to take business cards from every vendor you buy stuff from. No business card? Pen and paper with contact info works too.

Seedy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yep, what's funny is I had been using my phone and googling or calling my wife at home with the laptop on nearly every product.....but this one :D :hithead:

Oh well, live and learn. It may be the difference though between my son (10) being intimidated by the AR, and REALLY itching to shoot it. My sons a big COD fan and although I don't let him play online (language is too extreme) he thinks the red dot is "super cool" and if it gets him wanting to shoot more then maybe something positive came out of it. Worst case scenario is that I'll stick to my irons and grab a pic/weaver mount to go on his dovetailed Marlin model 60 .22 and let him use it.

I'll get yall some pics and range report with it after this weekend.

Wormydog1724

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree with the language on COD online. I mute everyone first thing in the lobby before the match starts. Nobody likes hearing crying and cussing when I'm pwning some noobs!

I just ordered an ACOG and you're son is more than welcome to give it a go if I'm ever up that way. I partly bought it because of COD and I wanted to have a "Jesus Rifle"!

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yep, what's funny is I had been using my phone and googling or calling my wife at home with the laptop on nearly every product.....but this one :D :hithead:

Oh well, live and learn. It may be the difference though between my son (10) being intimidated by the AR, and REALLY itching to shoot it. My sons a big COD fan and although I don't let him play online (language is too extreme) he thinks the red dot is "super cool" and if it gets him wanting to shoot more then maybe something positive came out of it. Worst case scenario is that I'll stick to my irons and grab a pic/weaver mount to go on his dovetailed Marlin model 60 .22 and let him use it.

I'll get yall some pics and range report with it after this weekend.

Going cheap is not always bad - just ask Wormy - he used to own a Chinese-made Millet scope :D Now that he got an Acog, he needs to sell me that LaRue SPR mount :thumb:

You just gotta be careful - the Millet TRS-1 and DMS-1 are good optics for the money and online reviews are paramount for discerning the good from the bad.

Check out Primary Arms if you want a reliable red-dot optic for cheap - you could have saved money over the Osprey (but then again, I've been there, you get caught up in "the gun show spirit" and risk it - sometimes you win, sometimes you loose).

Then again, that thing might be perfectly fine man.

Wormydog1724

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Going cheap is not always bad - just ask Wormy - he used to own a Chinese-made Millet scope :D Now that he got an Acog, he needs to sell me that LaRue SPR mount :thumb:

You just gotta be careful - the Millet TRS-1 and DMS-1 are good optics for the money and online reviews are paramount for discerning the good from the bad.

Check out Primary Arms if you want a reliable red-dot optic for cheap - you could have saved money over the Osprey (but then again, I've been there, you get caught up in "the gun show spirit" and risk it - sometimes you win, sometimes you loose).

Then again, that thing might be perfectly fine man.

I would sell the LaRue... BUT the plan is to get a Trijicon TR24 and put in it!

I do agree with SOME stuff being "good for the money". But I like to know my stuff can and will survive hard abuse. The Millett was ok and I think was built fairly well, but it weighed a freaking ton. And my rifle isn't light to begin with. The ACOG I ordered weighs half as much with a mount than the Millett by itself.

Online reviews are good places to start. I have ordered some things from several different companies and I will share the companies and brands that I like. There are some companies that are small but serve well. I am not MIL-LE and don't try to be. I just like quality stuff! :preocc:

Latest posts

Top Bottom