Open Carry and Midwest City PD

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hrdware

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
After hearing rumors about MWCPD citing people for disorderly conduct if they open carry, and with the comments made by Assistant Chief Porter earlier this year, I decided to call and talk to them about their policies.

First they will not be citing disorderly conduct just because you are open carry. They have also backed off of the checking everyone for a permit just because they are open carry. They will take each on a case by case basis and determine how to handle each situation. If you are eating at McDonalds with your family, they probably aren't going to say anything to you. They will respond to all MWAG calls, and depending on the situation, may or may not make contact and may or may not ask for a permit. I was also told the DAs office was having a meeting to figure out how they were going to handle this new law and if it changed the departments policy, they would call me back.

I also learned from the Oklahoma Association of Chiefs of Police that they are developing training for their officers and their focus is not to question or detain a person solely for carrying a firearm.

KOPBET

Duck of Death
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Being a Texan, I am just an outsider looking in, but I bet there are going to be a few ugly confrontations while transitioning to open carry.

Why is that? If someone is going to open carry then they will also have to display the license as required by law if asked to do so or face additional time consuming issues and possible fines. I don't see why any "law abiding citizen" would subject themselves to that.

Pstmstr

AKA Michael Cox. Back by popular demand.
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
I think we should check for credentials for half the cops I see wandering around in civilian clothes with some kind of badge on their belt. I support law enforcement, they have a very tough job and get paid poorly to boot in most cases. They should understand the lawfully armed citizen is a friend, not their foe. I doubt I will open carry much, if any but I shouldn't be hassled just because I decide to after Nov 1.

S

Siglawmen

I'm going to throw my 2 cents out here for what it's worth, personally for me I do not have a problem with it, for one I assume everyone is armed anyway, if it's on a hip for everyone to see then it's no longer an assumption and as Long as it's not being pointed at me I'm cool with it. Now, the issue I have with it is not legal, it's tactical, the bad guy is going to view your firearms just as I viewed it, with that you will get 1 of 2 reactions, either he will leave you alone because your armed, or he will target you for your firearm or to eliminate you as a threat upon his criminal endeavor. As armed citizens we don't have the luxury of having the first play, our first action is going to be a reaction to the criminals action, so with that I advise that you keep a ace in the hole and keep you weapon concealed. Do I want open carry? Yes because I'm now protected if my gun prints or pops out for whatever reason. Just thoughts from a cop ;)

ber

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm going to throw my 2 cents out here for what it's worth, personally for me I do not have a problem with it, for one I assume everyone is armed anyway, if it's on a hip for everyone to see then it's no longer an assumption and as Long as it's not being pointed at me I'm cool with it. Now, the issue I have with it is not legal, it's tactical, the bad guy is going to view your firearms just as I viewed it, with that you will get 1 of 2 reactions, either he will leave you alone because your armed, or he will target you for your firearm or to eliminate you as a threat upon his criminal endeavor. As armed citizens we don't have the luxury of having the first play, our first action is going to be a reaction to the criminals action, so with that I advise that you keep a ace in the hole and keep you weapon concealed. Do I want open carry? Yes because I'm now protected if my gun prints or pops out for whatever reason. Just thoughts from a cop ;)

What he said.

Latest posts

Top Bottom