Open Carry holster recommendations? Level II or Level III?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Voodoocoi

New to the site!
Reaction score
Sherpa versus ALS
The biggest reason I chose the ALS over the Serpa is that the release is between the firearm and my body. If someone is going to make a grab for it.. I feel I am more able to retain, than if my release is on the outside of the holster.

David2012

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sherpa versus ALS
The biggest reason I chose the ALS over the Serpa is that the release is between the firearm and my body. If someone is going to make a grab for it.. I feel I am more able to retain, than if my release is on the outside of the holster.

I like the Serpa over the ALS for just the opposite reason. If someone were to come up behind me [in say a checkout line] and grab the weapon in a ALS holster, they would grab the grip just about like I would to draw and might possibly hit the thumb release by accident.. but on the Blackhawk Serpa II with its index finger release, they would have to be directly up & over the weapon just as I would be in drawing it, in order to release the catch... which would be very awkward for them to do... especially with me wrestling around with them.

And the way my Serpa II holster is designed, there is a opening in the holster below & behind the latch so that when pushed..... grit, dirt & lint falls down & out.

Buzzdraw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Drawing quickly isn't the safety issue that caused the ND; prematurely putting the trigger finger into contact with the trigger did.

Nothing necessary wrong with an "up, then out" draw motion. Faster than "plowing" up and more resistant to deflection by an adversary who is close-in.

What the video does bring out is the need to PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE with your carry gear. Three of my kids are in LE. They have to work hard to keep their muscle memory up with their duty gear.

Latest posts

Top Bottom