Open Carry in a Car

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hrdware

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So a discussion someplace else leads to this:

Will you be able to lay your loaded handgun on the seat next to you in your car?

1289.7 Firearms in Vehicles said:
(snipped out the unload and convicted felon part)
Any person who is the operator of a vehicle or is a passenger in any vehicle wherein another person who is licensed pursuant to the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act, to carry a handgun, concealed or unconcealed, and is carrying a handgun or has concealed the handgun in such vehicle, shall not be deemed in violation of the provisions of this section provided the licensee is in or near the vehicle.

1290.2 Definitions said:
. “Unconcealed handgun” means a loaded or unloaded pistol carried upon the person in a belt or shoulder holster that is wholly or partially visible, or carried upon the person in a scabbard or case designed for carrying firearms that is wholly or partially visible;

The way I read this, the answer would be no.

Based upon the definition of unconcealed handgun, the handgun must be on your person. Therefore in a car, it has to either be concealed or on your person.

Also, 1289 says, "...and is carrying a handgun or has concealed the handgun...". I don't know how you can carry without it being on your person.

Thoughts??

David2012

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Back in the mid-90's, there was a reserve Oklahoma County deputy riding along with a regular deputy.. transporting a prisoner somewhere. The prisoner was in the backseat, his hands handcuffed in front of him.

For some reason the reserve deputy decided he would be more comfortable if he un-holstered his weapon and laid it in the floor between his feet on the front passenger side of the vehicle. At some point, when the full time deputy accelerated from a stop sign or stop light.. the reserve deputy's weapon suddenly slid under the front seat and landed between the feet of the prisoner... who picked it up. The deputies were found many hours later in a remote area of the county...handcuffed together... naked [or maybe it was in their underwear].... hugging a tree in the middle of no where. Their patrol car and valuables stolen. If it weren't for a observant passerby.... they might have been out there for days or weeks. And they were darn lucky not to have been killed.

You never know what can happen to your weapon if it is just lying in the seat if you happen to accelerate or stop suddenly. If your weapon isn't in a holster... it isn't secure.

Jam Master Jay

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't understand why you couldn't have your gun on the passenger seat? Regardless of if it is a bad idea or not, I don't see anything there that says you can't. Wouldn't that be like the car-mounted holsters that some people have used? (lower part of the dash or next to or between the seats)

Latest posts

Top Bottom