Opinions on my Colt M4? I think I'm almost finished spending money on it. . .

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah it's the stock trigger. It actually isn't bad though, smooth pull and nice reset. I'll probably replace it at some point though, any suggestions on which triggers I should consider?

You can make a noticeable difference on a stock trigger by doing a light polish on the engagement surfaces, adding a JP spring kit and doing a speed cut on the hammer. I wouldn't spend a dime more than that on anything but a Geissele trigger.

Dr_Mitch

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah, you have got to get rid of the mil-spec trigger. It is an embarrassment to rifle shooting, and shooting in general. Sort of a first-things-first for upgrading ARs: 1-Free-float, 2-trigger, 3-anything else. There are multiple great triggers out there, AR Gold, CMC, JP, etc.

wylekyote

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You can make a noticeable difference on a stock trigger by doing a light polish on the engagement surfaces, adding a JP spring kit and doing a speed cut on the hammer. I wouldn't spend a dime more than that on anything but a Geissele trigger.

I was already planning on polishing the engagement surfaces of the trigger and hammer on both my AR's, and I was looking into the JP spring kit as well. Does the JP speed hammer offer anything that the factory hammer w/ speed cut doesn't?

I think I might just get a Geissele SSA-E (maybe HS) trigger for the Colt since I've heard enough about Geiselle's triggers to know that I won't be disappointed.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was already planning on polishing the engagement surfaces of the trigger and hammer on both my AR's, and I was looking into the JP spring kit as well. Does the JP speed hammer offer anything that the factory hammer w/ speed cut doesn't?

I think I might just get a Geissele SSA-E (maybe HS) trigger for the Colt since I've heard enough about Geiselle's triggers to know that I won't be disappointed.

The JP speed hammer is essentially a mil-spec hammer with a speed cut. It's cheaper to DIY, but be forewarned. The surface hardening on the hammer is VERY hard. I have to cut through it all the way around with a Dremel cutoff wheel before finishing it off with a hacksaw.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've felt a Giessele and I wasn't impressed. Lots of pre travel. Clean break but no wall. Was kinda like a Glock trigger. Not horrible and much better than a standard mil-spec but wasnt worth the money to me. How many of the top 3 gunners are using Geissele and how many are using JP? I'll keep buying JP.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've felt a Giessele and I wasn't impressed. Lots of pre travel. Clean break but no wall. Was kinda like a Glock trigger. Not horrible and much better than a standard mil-spec but wasnt worth the money to me. How many of the top 3 gunners are using Geissele and how many are using JP? I'll keep buying JP.

Have you tried the SD3G trigger? How about the DMR? They're more in line with what you're after. The standard SSA was never designed to be a match trigger. It was designed as a bomb-proof combat application trigger with a siginficantly better feel than a mil-spec. You have to remember that Geissele has about 9 different models available. So far every one of them has been a near bulletproof design. For some of us, fiddly adjustments are a problem waiting for a critical time to fail.

Latest posts

Top Bottom