Our new house has mold behind one wall, looking for recommendations

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Capm_Spaulding

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Professional cleaning supply I believe has an okc location. They sell products to treat it. Personally I use plant based spray so we don’t introduce chemicals into peoples houses. People are paranoid about mold. Most cases are fairly harmless, unless you are extremely allergic.

When you walk in the house, do you overwhelmingly smell it?
I do have asthma, and we are going to start a family soon…. But I will probably have it tested to determine course of action if it’s going to be big $ to have it demo’d if it’s not toxic.

I am not sure on the smell. The house had cats in it and all I can smell is that at the moment. The floors are new within the last few weeks so puzzled on the cat smell but that’s a whole other thing.. unless the cat smell is actually mold smell.

chazroh

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The reason it’s worse behind the paneling is because the wood layered on drywall doesn’t allow the drywall to dry properly. Poke the tip of a knife in the drywall around the area. If the drywall is hard, it’s likely not wet and may not be actively leaking. If the drywall is really soft, it’s still wet

Capm_Spaulding

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The reason it’s worse behind the paneling is because the wood layered on drywall doesn’t allow the drywall to dry properly. Poke the tip of a knife in the drywall around the area. If the drywall is hard, it’s likely not wet and may not be actively leaking. If the drywall is really soft, it’s still wet
I think it’s dry. Most of what I felt was anyway and with the new roof, I think the leak has been resolved. So now it’s just mitigating the damages.

Letfreedomring

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've seen shows that used a machine that sandblasted the sheathing and rafters with dry ice to remove mold without damage and all it needed was vacuuming afterwards. Not sure if it's available in oklahoma, but might check around to see to save the new roof.

Capm_Spaulding

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
For perspective, we find mold on about every water leak we do. It’s acceptable to just remove it if it’s in a normal scope of work that we would do.
Good to know. I know there’s a lot of “germ theater” in regard to mold, but I am also a pretty cautious… but I’m glad there may be options other than a down to the studs reno!

Capm_Spaulding

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've seen shows that used a machine that sandblasted the sheathing and rafters with dry ice to remove mold without damage and all it needed was vacuuming afterwards. Not sure if it's available in oklahoma, but might check around to see to save the new roof.
Very interesting. I’m hoping something like that can be the case here. I’m hoping the roofers didn’t see mold on the outside of the OBS and simply shingle over it. But who knows.

Big House

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There is some mold in the attic on the under-sheath, it’s in the corner so I can’t get in there to see how bad it may be underneath insulation. It’s also right around the fireplace so I’m hoping the fireplace isn’t rotted out.

I believe the leak is resolved. We had a new roof put on when we bought and it seems to have come from the seal in that area or a vent or something. We literally closed today so I haven’t been there in rain to confirm. With the mold on the under-sheath I hope we don’t have to pull part of the new roof. Ugh.
Piss poor flashing, if any at all. Prior to repairs.

Latest posts

Top Bottom