Oxymoron of the day: Reusable Fly Trap

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Letfreedomring

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
At the start of the season we were overwhelmed with house flies while trying to do anything outside in the garden, garage, porches, etc. Decided to try my luck at some fly traps since the hanging water filled bags of water to "scare" them off just sounded silly to me. While shopping at our local TSC I noticed their reusable fly traps were on sale so picked up a couple to try.
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/p...4smT1v0Q59lt6pnAKkgvk0FfpmhNsPwEaAkXWEALw_wcBI read the instructions and heeded the warnings about the "strong smell" and placed them up and down wind from back door to try our luck at putting a dent in the population. Well hole-e-chit if they didn't undervalue their use of the term "strong smell"!🤮 They should have said: "Don't place anywhere you wouldn't keep a rotting corpse"! So after traps had pretty much worked their magic and trapped almost 3" of flies and maggots each, the directions inform you to empty each one in a waste receptacle and rinse and reuse.
wYyTHMm50f4Dm.gif

So both traps were closed, wrapped in a double layer of grocery bags (while holding breath) and put in the trash bin to hopefully never be seen again!
Moral of the story: while modern fly traps work great, take my advice and just buy the disposable ones. Your nose will thank me later!:puke:

Letfreedomring

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
These are disposable and work great. My wife hung one up yesterday and it is full today with almost no smell.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BTY75CV?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1
What a koinkadink! I bought one a couple of weeks ago. I got fed up with the flies this morning while drinking coffee on the back porch and remembered I bought it so put it to use which prompted me to write the above all points bulletin!
It gets crazy with flies just before and after a rain around our house. We'll see how well it knocks them down a peg. :thumbup3:

jakeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I put predators out once a month during fly season but sometimes flies get kinda thick in the lot where the horses drop the feed so I hang one on the wash rack where the horses can’t reach it. They catch an amazing number of flies, but Lord Almighty they are rank and when the dead flies also start to stink it’s worse.

I cut them down when they’re full and toss them in the burn pile. I don’t know how else you could dispose of them that wouldn’t be almost as bad as having the flies.

As many flies as they collect, it clearly makes a difference.

Latest posts

Top Bottom