Picking out an SXS shotgun.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've fallen in a hole, and have decided I need a good SXS 20ga. Started drooling over Purdeys, Parkers, and Foxes, but I'm not ready to take a trip down to Mexico and sell organs. I ran across an Ithaca 20ga today, was very lightweight, had some light engraving (looked handcrafted?) and some gorgeous wood. Def not a field grade gun, at least I don't think. They were wanting $975 for it. Any opinions on Ithacas? I couldn't find a model number or any sort of designation on it. Any pointers on where to find this info on the firearm?

Suggestions for other 20 or 28ga SXS shotguns under $1100? Things I should look out for? Is there anyone in Oklahoma that can assist in fitting a shotgun to myself after purchase, if needed?

sedona

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ithacas make a nice side by side.A guy on here from Ada hunts with one.I can't remember his screen name but if he sees this he will let you know.I believe it is a model 100 or 200.The SXS with a straight grip english stock are wonderful.

sedona

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
31986452681_eb4ba3385e_o.jpg
31986452681_eb4ba3385e_o.jpg
31986466191_4c88428f80_o.jpg

Cowbaby

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ithacas made some of the finest shooting SS shotguns made way back in the day. Both may Grandfathers who were not from the same state had them and swore by them. Even when they upgraded to newer ones they both stayed with Ithaca.

Just don't get so far back that you start running into Damascus steel and rabbit ear hammers if you plan on using it as Ithaca as a company goes way back on the time machine. Most of those are pretty much wallhangers.

In addition the Ithaca model 37s pumps that came later were legendary. I have no experience with any model newer than that.

The price seems warm but I don't think you would be disappointed in the gun. I have been looking for a clean 20 or 28ga myself. Found a pitted bore 20 that belonged to a shop I can't deal with anyway. Still looking.

Last edited:

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Check out the Rossi Presemtion Grade. Way under $1100 and very well built. The 20s are fairly easy to find, have never seen one in 28, or I would have bought it.

The Ithica is an awesome gun, but I feel like that is a bit over-priced.
Grandson has the CZ and loves it.

Not a beauty, but hard to beat a Savage 311

enuf

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Larry Garroutte in Collinsville custom fits guns; people from all over bring him guns to fit - we have had Larry do a few of ours.

Latest posts

Top Bottom