Pistol Brace "rules" signed by AG today

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WoodsCraft

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just now reading this and not sure i understand all this BS completely. if we have a ar pistol, with a 11.5" barrel, and a shockwave brace it is now illegal, unless you do the paperwork to call it a SBR, or remove the brace and leave it with the tube, and DONT shoulder it?

As I understand it from watching a few experts who have been reading this and providing their interpretation its way more complicated than just the brace The ATF has written the rule in such a way that putting the wrong kind of optic on your AR pistol in this case an optic intended for a rifle so that you have to effectively hold it as a rifle . Would then create an SBR . This is a very muddy water and people who feel like they want to comply with this aren't doing themselves or anyone else a favor.

Now I don't own an SBR or pistol with brace , and honestly haven't ever had an interest in one , and everyone ultimately needs to do what they think is best for themselves. Complying with this rule rather than fighting it via all the legal channels will ultimately come back to bite you in the butt in the future .

Looking at this as a pathway to now I can get muh NFA registered firearm for free is definitely bad ju ju.

This isn't outlawing something which never got off the ground to start with , this is a clear case of taking something which was legal from the get go and changing your mind after the fact. Making everyone and in this case everyone is millions of people a criminal retroactively.

That fact should scare the hell out of everyone

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Lol

img_1_1674170965485.jpg

lilcountry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Got this reply from my representative today.

Response from Senator James Lankford

To:

Thu 1/19/2023 3:23 PM

117_JL_Letterhead.jpg

January 19, 2023

Thank you for contacting me about pistol braces. I appreciate the opportunity to hear from you.
Pistol braces can be incredibly useful tools that help stabilize guns while shooting. Historically, pistol braces have been used by disabled combat veterans. In recent years, pistol braces have grown in popularity with all types of shooting sports.
I have heard from Oklahomans who are opposed to the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms (ATF) recently proposed rulemaking that would classify almost all pistol braces as rifles. I am glad to hear from them because I am also strongly opposed to this final rule. This ATF proposal is a significant change in policy because rifles are considered National Firearms Act (NFA) items and must be registered and taxed through the ATF. I am critical of any ATF rule that changes or adds to NFA regulation because it often results in burdensome requirements for law-abiding gun owners. The rule is also incredibly vague in explaining how gun-owners can comply with the new regulation.
That is why on April 12, 2022, I introduced the Pistol Brace Protection Act, which would gut the ATF rule by eliminating subjective standards that exist in federal law that have allowed ATF to reclassify firearms under the NFA. My bill guarantees that law-abiding gun owners will not have to register, destroy, or surrender their pistol brace. To read more about my bill, please click here.
Congress determines firearm policy within the boundary of the Second Amendment. This is a clear power grab from the ATF and a prime example of a bloated and unchecked bureaucracy. To push back against this rule, I also signed onto a letter with fellow Republican Senators that explains in detail why pistol braces should not be classified as NFA items and what this means for Americans. The letter was sent to the Department of Justice (DOJ) and ATF last year.
I hope this information is helpful. Please feel free to email me again at www.lankford.senate.gov to learn more about my work in the United States Senate for all of us.

In God We Trust,
SenatorSignature48.jpg

James Lankford
United States Senator

streak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Got this reply from my representative today.

Response from Senator James Lankford

To:

Thu 1/19/2023 3:23 PM

117_JL_Letterhead.jpg

January 19, 2023

Thank you for contacting me about pistol braces. I appreciate the opportunity to hear from you.
Pistol braces can be incredibly useful tools that help stabilize guns while shooting. Historically, pistol braces have been used by disabled combat veterans. In recent years, pistol braces have grown in popularity with all types of shooting sports.
I have heard from Oklahomans who are opposed to the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms (ATF) recently proposed rulemaking that would classify almost all pistol braces as rifles. I am glad to hear from them because I am also strongly opposed to this final rule. This ATF proposal is a significant change in policy because rifles are considered National Firearms Act (NFA) items and must be registered and taxed through the ATF. I am critical of any ATF rule that changes or adds to NFA regulation because it often results in burdensome requirements for law-abiding gun owners. The rule is also incredibly vague in explaining how gun-owners can comply with the new regulation.
That is why on April 12, 2022, I introduced the Pistol Brace Protection Act, which would gut the ATF rule by eliminating subjective standards that exist in federal law that have allowed ATF to reclassify firearms under the NFA. My bill guarantees that law-abiding gun owners will not have to register, destroy, or surrender their pistol brace. To read more about my bill, please click here.
Congress determines firearm policy within the boundary of the Second Amendment. This is a clear power grab from the ATF and a prime example of a bloated and unchecked bureaucracy. To push back against this rule, I also signed onto a letter with fellow Republican Senators that explains in detail why pistol braces should not be classified as NFA items and what this means for Americans. The letter was sent to the Department of Justice (DOJ) and ATF last year.
I hope this information is helpful. Please feel free to email me again at www.lankford.senate.gov to learn more about my work in the United States Senate for all of us.

In God We Trust,
SenatorSignature48.jpg

James Lankford
United States Senator
Same response I got

1911DA

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

THIS IS CRITICAL ........
Everyone needs to watch and understand the info presented in this video.........the 88 day rule will make criminals out of most everyone because the sbr forms can not be processed that fast......look how long a normal sbr tax stamp or a silencer tax stamp is taking to process and to meet the 120 day deadline and bunches of the pistol braces tax stamp requests are going to dumped on the atf..........it's a trap and applicants are giving the atf all their information, prints, addresses, pictures.........this is not going to end well.........

BillM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As I understand it from watching a few experts who have been reading this and providing their interpretation its way more complicated than just the brace The ATF has written the rule in such a way that putting the wrong kind of optic on your AR pistol in this case an optic intended for a rifle so that you have to effectively hold it as a rifle . Would then create an SBR . This is a very muddy water and people who feel like they want to comply with this aren't doing themselves or anyone else a favor.

Now I don't own an SBR or pistol with brace , and honestly haven't ever had an interest in one , and everyone ultimately needs to do what they think is best for themselves. Complying with this rule rather than fighting it via all the legal channels will ultimately come back to bite you in the butt in the future .

Looking at this as a pathway to now I can get muh NFA registered firearm for free is definitely bad ju ju.

This isn't outlawing something which never got off the ground to start with , this is a clear case of taking something which was legal from the get go and changing your mind after the fact. Making everyone and in this case everyone is millions of people a criminal retroactively.

That fact should scare the hell out of everyone
This, so far as I'm concerned, is the final word on the whole thing:

If you submit your photos and data, along with the 40 million other folks that are supposed to have these braces on AR pistols, there is no way they're going to be able to process all that paperwork. And if your paperwork is not processed in 88 days, it is automatically denied. So, by their definition, you are a felon in possession of an SBR, and they will take action against you . "IT'S A TRAP!!!

I don't own an AR-anything, nor a brace. Not all that interested in them. BUT! I've been watching this BS get worse and worse since I was 8, and I'm nearly 68 now. Betcha, former gun owners that were tagged as felons will be the only ones who don't and cannot get their right to vote back, either.

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This, so far as I'm concerned, is the final word on the whole thing:

If you submit your photos and data, along with the 40 million other folks that are supposed to have these braces on AR pistols, there is no way they're going to be able to process all that paperwork. And if your paperwork is not processed in 88 days, it is automatically denied. So, by their definition, you are a felon in possession of an SBR, and they will take action against you . "IT'S A TRAP!!!

I don't own an AR-anything, nor a brace. Not all that interested in them. BUT! I've been watching this BS get worse and worse since I was 8, and I'm nearly 68 now. Betcha, former gun owners that were tagged as felons will be the only ones who don't and cannot get their right to vote back, either.

Good point...this is a good way to "rig" an election by preventing previously law abiding citizens from voting or owning guns. Someone should tell Lankford that too.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom