Polishing the Toons

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yea if you wish to have a fun day join me polishing these horrible toons.

I was 3/4 of the way done with just 1 outside part of a toon and 3 hours was gone.
And it is not done I really want to get a larger polishing wheel and remove some irregularities.

I first wet sand it and then dry and then polish with red or white rouge on a 5.5" buffing wheel I made fit on a corded drill.
The white leaves less scratches and is shinier.
I am going to get an 8" wheel.

Looks better than it did but I have many more hours ahead of me on this "why did I do it" project.

polish 001.JPG

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Other one is 20 foot this one is 21 and has 20 more HP.
Now I have tried many methods yesterday and today to get these toons shiny with minimal scratches.

At the beginning of today I used 800 grit and wet sanded the back of a toon then took some scotchbright from oreilly in a box that stated 800 grit but it is finer than 1000 grit paper during my testing today.

So 800 then the scotchbright both sanding with running water from a water hose keeping it well soaked.
Dry it and use 8" buffing wheel and white bar compound on the wheel.

Chucked in a drill and spinning under 2000 rpm.
Find the sweet spot for your combo that does not leave scratches.
The buffing wheel had some break-in time before it put down a scratch free shine.

Yes i raked the wheel and many times during polishing I rake it and re-apply the white stick compound.

I had 2 friends over helping today and I even got froggy and did the 4" aluminum rail above the toons.

That rail got wiped down with scotch bright sprayed with WD40 then wipe that off and I used a 5.5" buffing wheel off a bench grinder.
Not going for huge shine on the rail though just cleaner.

You can see the rail in this picture and it has not been touched yet.
And this was today 800 grit then scotch bright then buff .
That combo is a winner for sure.
polish 004.JPG

Notice the rail that goes around the deck.. dull looking.
polish 003.JPG

This is the rail after a few minutes.
This toon is not super nice as this was start point yesterday and it will get redon when my ordered stuff from Renegade gets here.

This is today on the toon on the other side.
polish 001.JPG

And another picture.
polish 002.JPG

It is so smooth water can't stick to it slick like ice and I will NOT do the bottom where the bunk boards are at.
I want it to sit solid on those boards.

If you made it this far reading I have thought of maybe painting the front cones on the toon to have a shark mouth or something cool maybe war plane teeth.

YES? NO?

magna19

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yea if you wish to have a fun day join me polishing these horrible toons.

I was 3/4 of the way done with just 1 outside part of a toon and 3 hours was gone.
And it is not done I really want to get a larger polishing wheel and remove some irregularities.

I first wet sand it and then dry and then polish with red or white rouge on a 5.5" buffing wheel I made fit on a corded drill.
The white leaves less scratches and is shinier.
I am going to get an 8" wheel.

Looks better than it did but I have many more hours ahead of me on this "why did I do it" project.
Pretty sure that oxidation your sanding/polishing off is the corrosion protection for aluminum.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Pretty sure that oxidation your sanding/polishing off is the corrosion protection for aluminum.
Yes it is but that boat sat in a field with cattle and the guy mowing it had blasted it often with the mower and it was a house for mice and rats and every other critter and the rat poop on the top of the toons and the floor and in the furniture really does come with rat pee and it had to be cleaned.

The Pontoons felt rough like 36 grit sandpaper from all the stuff stuck on them.

I will buy some of this to apply to the toons after polishing.
https://sharkhidestore.com/products/sharkhide-metal-and-aluminum-protectant

I will find out if it is good or not but many reviews I have read on the stuff it is amazing.
Many people have polished their toons and applied this stuff and 2 years later the toons look exactly the same like brand new.

ChrisWilson

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’d like to know how much of the Sharks hide you need to cover it all. I’ve got a 22’ Trihull I’ve been going to police up. Lots of water spots and grey splotches that just bug me!

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’d like to know how much of the Sharks hide you need to cover it all. I’ve got a 22’ Trihull I’ve been going to police up. Lots of water spots and grey splotches that just bug me!
I read one guy did a 20 foot pontoon and bought 2 quarts of it and never opened the second quart.

Latest posts

Top Bottom