Poulan Farm Hand chainsaw problems, Can you help?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tranger2

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My chainsaw has worked great for several years. Last weekend, it started running wide open and then would try to die. You could barely keep it going then it finally quit. It sounded a lot like it was running out of gas but it still had gas in it.

I tried it today and it started right up. However, it ran wide open with the chain running. It almost feels like a choke is stuck. I ran it on some wood for a couple of minutes and it started trying to die again, and finally did. It was extremely hot and had smoke coming off it.

Any ideas on what it could be or where to find answers. I live in the NE OKC / Edmond area. This is not an expensive saw and I hate to spend a great deal on it for its age.

Thanks for any help.

(by the way, because of all the help in the past, whenever my wife discuss anything and we need an answer, she says why don't you ask the shooter thingy)

Devon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You have an air leak. It could be a crack in the fuel line, impulse hose, or manifold. It creates a lean fuel situation. If not corrected, it will score and/or seize the piston.....

Toney

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If the line and filter is good and you have adjusted the carb you will probbly have to overhaul the carb. I's really easy most of the time it's the pump and the gasket with the check valves have got to hard to work.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You have an air leak. It could be a crack in the fuel line, impulse hose, or manifold. It creates a lean fuel situation. If not corrected, it will score and/or seize the piston.....

This. Or it could be the throttle is stuck partially or fully open (or another leak as mentioned). Check it all out, clean the butterfly valve, look the manifold over, replace the fuel lines (they're cheap and probably brittle anyway, if not cracked).

A Poulan will work fine for a light duty saw, if even marginally maintained. I sold and serviced them at Sears for years, and my personal saw starts up easy even after sitting untouched in between seasons.

Last edited:

Shootin 4 Fun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Where do you buy your gasoline? If you aren't using fuel without ethanol I would try changing fuels first. I had the same problem with a brand new chainsaw and then a brand new weed eater....I'm a slow learner.

Latest posts

Top Bottom