Prepper's Point of View

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pokem807

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Back in '07, I had no idea what prepping was. The morning after the ice storm, I remember stepping outside and freaking out about the mess in my well maintained yard. I still cringe when thinking about all of the oak and hickory I threw in the burn pile just to get things back to "normal"--not to mention scrambling for food, heat, light, etc.

Fast forward to today, and how things have changed. This was a much milder event, but still provided a good opportunity to assess my mental and physical prepping progress. I laughed a bit after looking at the limbs in the yard and finding myself calculating how much new firewood I had and how much more sun exposure my forthcoming solar project will have.

Whether you've been doing it for years or have just begun, how has prepping changed your POV in general, and specifically regarding events like this latest storm?

eyecyou

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i love when storms like this come thru just to hear everyone freakout while i sit back with my vienna weenies and think about how to improve for next time

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
and as usual life goes on

Well ... almost ... not all the satellite channels are coming in because the ice on the dish is interferring :bah: ... and I had to break open the pen doors with a hammer (iced shut) :bah: but ... yeah ... pretty much ...

'07 was the wake-up call for me also, Pokem ... GC had always been somewhat of a prepper. There's another member here he traded a rifle to for a generator because I wouldn't come off the money for one. Even then I still be-yotched about the damn thing taking up space ... Every time he fired it up to run a load on it I complained about the noise, the smell, the money he was spending on gas, etc. ... But in my defense I'd lived 40+ years by then and never been a whole 24 hours without power in my life. THEN we were without power for an entire week in '07. I've never been so glad to have a generator in my life ... :D

Now look at me ... :hey3:

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I really think ice storms are the best things to prep for. If you can handle Oklahoma ice storms youve just about got all the experience you need for other scenario s.

tntrex

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Well ... almost ... not all the satellite channels are coming in because the ice on the dish is interferring :bah: ... and I had to break open the pen doors with a hammer (iced shut) :bah: but ... yeah ... pretty much ...

'07 was the wake-up call for me also, Pokem ... GC had always been somewhat of a prepper. There's another member here he traded a rifle to for a generator because I wouldn't come off the money for one. Even then I still be-yotched about the damn thing taking up space ... Every time he fired it up to run a load on it I complained about the noise, the smell, the money he was spending on gas, etc. ... But in my defense I'd lived 40+ years by then and never been a whole 24 hours without power in my life. THEN we were without power for an entire week in '07. I've never been so glad to have a generator in my life ... :D

Now look at me ... :hey3:

7 days sure is the suck. Our last bad one down here a few yrs ago left some without power for 2 weeks.
As for me? We left and stayed in a cozy hotel in DFW that even had a waterpark indoors!:) Then came back and got the generator going when it wasn't so cold

I'm worthless but fun. Just ask my wife or kids or parents or friends.. lol

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
7 days sure is the suck. Our last bad one down here a few yrs ago left some without power for 2 weeks.
As for me? We left and stayed in a cozy hotel in DFW that even had a waterpark indoors!:) Then came back and got the generator going when it wasn't so cold

I'm worthless but fun. Just ask my wife or kids or parents or friends.. lol

LOL ... That's how I'd rather do it! :D But ... we have critters to take care of and I can't get GC to take off work for NUTHIN' ... :grumble:

jrusling

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I told the wife that since we were all ready to lose power, it would not happen. I did get out all of the extension cords so I would not have to get out in the freezing rain so much if the power quit. Now I have to get out and put them all up once the ice has melted off. In 07 we were without power for 39 hours, but with the generator it was no big deal. I was starting to run short of gas, but since then I have a more efficient generator and quite a bit more gas on hand.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Power went off, I went to Red Castle. Nobody but me and my son shooting Saturday afternoon.....
Does make me want to get rocket stove finished. 2nd configuration, still working on it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom