Prepper's Point of View

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

358norma

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been prepping before prepping was cool (pre Y2K). The 07 event just made my new wife at the time understand and get on board with what I had been doing. Now stuff like snow and ice are an un-event. That's really what prepping is for isn't it? Now she enjoys having our own grocery store "in house".

subprep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
07 was the real wake up for us too. we only lost power for 48 hours but our house is total electric. kids were cold but fortunately we had plenty of blankets and a fireplace. food was ok but on the low side. we mostly lost pine trees and those aren't very good for indoor fires LOL I agree prepping for ice storms are top of my list, we don't get them that often but when we do they are hellish. I try my best to keep the pantry stocked with a minimum of 2-4 weeks worth of groceries so I am not out fighting the crowds for the last gallon of milk, and thanks to badgebunny as long as I have the ingredients on hand I never have to fight for bread LOL

pritch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We're in a new house and this will be our first winter in Oklahoma. I have all kinds of projects lined up. On the plus side, this is the first gas fireplace I've ever had that really puts out heat, not just ambiance. On the negative, our range is electric, so I'll have to rely on the gas grill outside or break out the Coleman camp stove for cooking chores.

I gave away most of my stored food before moving, so I'm slowly building it back up. Time to visit the LDS Cannery!

When I build the man cave (shed) out back I'll orient it with PV solar in mind.

Safe room will be installed next week.

Does anybody have a recommendation for a good electrician to set me up for a generator and add a few lights in the back yard?

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Man best way is to learn to hook it up yourself. Take ur time n read up on how to and ask questions. Its really not that hard and youll gain knowledge.

You can do it.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Knocked the ice off the gate latch to feed the dog and chickens. Had a HUGE oak tree snap a limb and take out part of the pasture fence, so we got out the chainsaw and then patched fence before the horses and cows figured out it was down.

Wife had several phone calls from panic stricken friends who had 'braved' the icy roads because of no food in the house for the kids since school was closed, only to find the grocery store shelves nearly bare; no delivery truck that day.

We had a warm house full of grandkids, a pot of stew and played board games all day. Life was / is good. IF it had lasted 2 weeks, nothing different; more and gen fuel may have been a problem, but nothing else.

Latest posts

Top Bottom