Principle One: Alertness

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grwd

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Principle One:
Alertness
"A commander may be forgiven for being defeated, but
never for being surprised." This maxim is among the first to
be impressed upon new lieutenants. It is equally applicable
to individuals who aspire to a degree of physical security in
today's embattled society. Alertness is, to some extent, an
inherent personality trait, but it can nonetheless be learned
and improved. Once we accept that our familiar and prosaic
environment is in fact perilous, we automatically sharpen
our senses.
Two rules are immediately evident: Know what is
behind you, and pay particular attention to anything out of
place.

Discuss...

prdator

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Did that come from Farnam?

Alertness/Awareness is the most important part of any type of self defense.

It can be taught, like Coopers color codes, and tie in the the OODA loop.

But for me I think the most important training I've had is MUC ( managing unknown contacts) in this you learn the pre-assault indicators that all criminals exhibit before committing an assault , and how to recognize and stop them.

The best part of all this is the training is very close by, right at USSA in Mike's CQT class.

grwd

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
that is the first paragraph from Cooper's Principles of self defense.

Before I started thinking about self defense, I was in condition "colorless".
Thats how unaware I usually was; lost in thought.. going to point a to b.

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
I learned all the pre assault indicators so I now know what not to do, and boy does it work!

Olyeller I would like to admonish you, as soon others will, things have evolved far beyond Cooper/Gun Site. you gotta be cool, get hip, get on the right track, get ready yeah....etc. I mean common who has the time to run around in Yellow anymore, it,s a new century baby!

prdator

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
that is the first paragraph from Cooper's Principles of self defense.

Before I started thinking about self defense, I was in condition "colorless".
Thats how unaware I usually was; lost in thought.. going to point a to b.

I cant tell you how shocked I was the first time I set in on a "lecture" of the color code.. I kept thinking wow you have to tell people to do this....:anyone:
Its been hardwired in me since I was a kid.. but growing up with alcoholic stepbrothers that tried to kill ya few times and you figured it out quick...

jtischauser

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I learned all the pre assault indicators so I now know what not to do, and boy does it work!

I don't care who you are that's funny right there.

Personally I think most people don't care to know how much threat exists on a minute by minute day by day basis. Peolpe would rather be ingnorant and assume their safe instead of learning about potential threats because if they know threats exist then they worry about the threats. This is America and we are safe and nobody wants to worry.

bratch

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The recently car jacking at Quail Springs Mall Friday morning was a big Alertness Fail.

According to the articles I've read the two perps followed the victim around the mall, out to her car and then car jacked her. I haven't gotten to watch any of the surveillance tapes or listen to the 911 call because I can't get it to stream for me but I would think they would provide interesting insight as well.

Michael Brown

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Olyeller I would like to admonish you, as soon others will, things have evolved far beyond Cooper/Gun Site. you gotta be cool, get hip, get on the right track, get ready yeah....etc. I mean common who has the time to run around in Yellow anymore, it,s a new century baby!

While hip-ness doesn't really have anything to do with it, its my personal belief that personal protection training didn't begin and end at Gunsite.

Apparently neither does any other trainer or training organization.

If it's enough for you, cool.

Michael Brown

Maj. John Andre

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I,m new here, been lurking a while, an no kind of expert on this stuff but I do have a question. Is GunSite closed? They show a calander for 2010, but you all speak of it in the past tense? Also why don't any trainers or training organizations think very highly of it? I went there a few years ago on a TDY assignment and took a class under Pat Rogers who seemed pretty on board. I noticed they have a few guys like Steve Tarani and Matt Girardi listed as instructors who seem to have very good creds, so what has changed for them to be thought so poorly of? Thanks for the help.

Latest posts

Top Bottom