Principle One: Alertness

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I learned this back in 85-86 on a NATO-Med cruise with the Corps. Service persons were considered particularly vulnerable to attacks when off duty in public areas around Europe and the Med back then, so we went through all sorts of training for awareness.

I still carry it and live by it every day. My wife understands it and works cooperatively out in public, allowing me to choose where to park, walk, sit, etc. in order to ensure our safety. That's about the only stuff she does let me control! :)

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I,m new here, been lurking a while, an no kind of expert on this stuff but I do have a question. Is GunSite closed? They show a calander for 2010, but you all speak of it in the past tense? Also why don't any trainers or training organizations think very highly of it? I went there a few years ago on a TDY assignment and took a class under Pat Rogers who seemed pretty on board. I noticed they have a few guys like Steve Tarani and Matt Girardi listed as instructors who seem to have very good creds, so what has changed for them to be thought so poorly of? Thanks for the help.

I'd imagine that if a training facility founded by Col. Rex Applegate and William Fairbairn were around today, someone would be panning them as antiquated and out of touch.

This seems to be a common theme in dynamic firearms/defense training. What was new yesterday is old and outdated today. Founders get bought out or forced out and people don't like the new direction. Competent trainers leave for greener pastures and less competent trainers succeed them. Better trainers succeed them and remain saddled with the reputation of the previous bunch. Trainers with good material rely on it for too long and become grizzled has beens. Infighting and overbearing personalities overshadow the quality of instruction.

There are a lot of reasons training facilities and groups fall out of favor. Some are good reasons, some aren't. There's no magic crystal ball that will tell you where the best place to go is. Student reviews are all over the spectrum. Unless you know what their experience level is and how many comparative courses they've been to, they shouldn't be relied upon. But a good indicator is how they are viewed by the bulk of their peers. If other well respected trainers agree that attending their courses is worthwhile, you'll have a greater likelihood that it's a quality class.

In truth the only worthwhile indicator is the class currently being taught. The dozens or hundreds of previous classes mean nothing to the guy who lays out hundreds of dollars for a class starting tomorrow. All that matters is what you can teach them and how well it can be retained. Everything else is just marketing.

Maj. John Andre

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thank you all for the replies. It does clear some things up.

That is the real name and that is the real rank. I am surrounded by Historians here in our shop and I joke with the guys...As a Capitan it wasn't noticed, when I get on the short list, it better not be noticed. Kudos Mr. Brown for being a student of history.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I'd imagine that if a training facility founded by Col. Rex Applegate and William Fairbairn were around today, someone would be panning them as antiquated and out of touch.

I for one, who have read everything I could on these two, I wouldn't want to tangle with any of their students or them. Some of their stuff today seems hokey by modern standards, but it works!

Latest posts

Top Bottom