Project Winterseed -- Afton, OK Jan. 29-30, 2011

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
"The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman."
-- Thomas Paine, December 23, 1776

Do you know how you, your rifle, and your equipment handle extremes in temperature? Come find out at Oklahoma's next Appleseed marksmanship clinic at Afton, OK on January 29-30, 2011.

Appleseed does not quit for the winter... we see it as a unique challenge and learning opportunity, and we are looking for dedicated Riflemen to join us for our lineup of events during the cold winter months, which we have dubbed "Project Winterseed." While other shooting organizations take a hiatus, Appleseed pushes on with the mission of turning this country back into a Nation of Riflemen.

Because of the late January date of this event, bitter cold weather is virtually ensured. Summer soldiers and sunshine patriots need not apply.

This event is being held at Excalibur Sporting Goods in Afton. The shop will be available for shooters to take breaks and warm up in, but shooters should be prepared to spend all day outside on the ground, firing from field positions.

Providing that the weather is deemed bitter enough by myself and the other Instructors, those who rise to the challenge and shoot Expert on the Army Qualification Test at this event will receive a special winter color scheme Rifleman's patch.

[Broken External Image]
Event Info here: http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=19609.0
Registration here: http://www.eventbrite.com/event/1161336589

For those that do not know, Appleseed is a volunteer organization that teaches the fundamentals of rifle marksmanship as well as Revolutionary War history. It is our goal to preserve the unique but rapidly dying heritage of marksmanship that led to the birth of this country

Come be a part of the rebirth.

http://appleseedinfo.org/winterseed.html

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes, we will be having semi-regular shoots at the Banner Road Range, which is between Yukon and El Reno (less than a half hour from OKC). We will be having one in February. The date is not finalized yet, but it looks like it will probably be happening on Feb. 19-20. I will post details in this section of the forum as soon as it is open for registration.

We are having one at Tri-City Gun Club on October 15-16, and we are hoping to get another one set up at OKC Gun Club this year as well.

Also, if anyone is in Western OK, we are having one in Hobart in the spring. Date TBA.

TKNO1015s

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If there is anyone needing anything ie; slings, tech-sights etc, to be here for the January shoot let me know and I can make sure that they are waiting here for you. Look forward to seeing everyone, Mike (918) 257-4126

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes, absolutely GlockedandLoaded; shooters with any level of experience are welcome. We teach everyone from total n00bs to expert marksmen, and they all benefit from the program.

I imagine that the weather will thin the crowd out a little bit, so anyone who does show up should get more 1 on 1 instruction than at a usual event. This would actually be a great time for noobs to come out and learn those fundamentals.

The expected round count is 400 for the weekend. The cost is $70 for the weekend, unless you're under 21, female, or active military, guard reserve, law enforcement, or a teacher.

Check out the website for suggestions on how to prepare and what to expect:
http://www.appleseedinfo.org/as_prepare.html

shoot me an e-mail or PM if you need anything.

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wasn't able to post an AAR until now, since every time I tried to log on the server was down! :(

Anyway, it was a great event. We had 15 shooters on Saturday, and 7 on Sunday. Saturday was beautiful... Sunday not so much! ;) mild and 70s on Saturday, 30s on Sunday with a freezing wind chill and 20 mph winds. But that's Oklahoma for you! Fortunately, we had Excalibur's CCL classroom available for taking breaks when we gave our history talks.

Tom was our top shot of the weekend... he persisted in the cold weather and shot Expert on the last AQT of the day on Sunday with his AR-15A2. As Shoot Boss, I decided that the effort deserved one of our new Winterseed patches. Tom also won the "Circle of fire" challenge that we ran... it involved running 150 yards and putting 10 rounds on our "Redcoat" target, which simulates torso shots at 100, 200, 300, and 400m, and a head shot at 250 (which were all shots that skilled Revolutionary War Riflemen could make, btw). More points were given for the smaller targets, and you could not put mroe than 5 rounds on any one target. After making the dash to the firing line, Tom zeroed in on the 400m target and the head shot with all of his rounds, and only pulled a couple. Good shooting Tom. Lisa, our shooter who is headed to Air Force boot camp next month, ought to do fine on her PT... she was the quickest to clear the dash and get a shot off, which scored her some bonus points.

We had a couple of gentlemen who were nipping at Tom's heels with their AQT scores, and who came very close to shooting Expert. Dusty and Garret, you will get it next time. Everyone who came improved a lot, and learned a lot about their capabilities under less-than-ideal conditions.

All y'all who didn't come missed out... it is a fun challenge to shoot field positions in cold weather gear.

Also, excavations have begun on the 400 yard range at Excalibur Sporting Goods, as well as the 3-sided berm for a 180* rifle/pistol range. Mike will have some really nice facilities, which you will be able to enjoy for $10 per day. We will be putting the 400 yard range to full use at future Appleseeds. If you are in the Tulsa/NE Oklahoma area, I recommend you go check out the range and gun shop. He's got some pretty good deals in that shop... $80 plus tax out the door for a stripped lower.

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Working on it!

I know it is bothersome for us to be scheduling events month-to-month, like we have been... I am working on getting a lineup of events scheduled at least 6 months out with our regular hosts. I will post in this section of the forum when I have it all worked out.

We are trying to figure out when to work in our upcoming shoots at the Hobart Police range and at Badlands Tactical. I am also following up with some new ranges that will have to be worked into the schedule.

But once the new lineup is out, it will be much nicer than getting a month or less notice before events.

Latest posts

Top Bottom