Propane heat for hunting cabin.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NationalMatch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wall mounted units. Two heaters for a 2 bedroom cabin. No venting. Condensation forms after awhile.

Also have three carbon monoxide detectors. Two are plug in models and are low to the floor. One is battery and is ~ five feet high. Never any indication of CO2.

The heaters are connected to a 500 gallon tank outside.

Is this situation a concern? If yes, solutions?

OkieJoe72

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
One minor clarification. CO2 is carbon dioxide, and CO is carbon monoxide. Based on your description, I don’t see any specific problem, but here are some things to consider.
1) Keep all flammables away from the heaters
2) Check for leaks. Whoever delivers the propane can typically do this for you. Do you smell propane?
3) The condensation is probably due to a lack of insulation either in the walls or subfloor.
4) If it were me, I wouldn’t run the heaters unattended for long periods of time.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
One minor clarification. CO2 is carbon dioxide, and CO is carbon monoxide. Based on your description, I don’t see any specific problem, but here are some things to consider.
1) Keep all flammables away from the heaters
2) Check for leaks. Whoever delivers the propane can typically do this for you. Do you smell propane?
3) The condensation is probably due to a lack of insulation either in the walls or subfloor.
4) If it were me, I wouldn’t run the heaters unattended for long periods of time.
This...

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Condensation comes from burning propane. It off-gases water vapor, but so does every other gas you could heat with. Butane, natural gas, etc... Just a byproduct of burning. Venting fixes this.

This is the most informative and correct answer to the OP's question. Burning slightly under 5 gals of propane will create a gallon of water.

A dehumidifier might help depending on the size of the space you're heating, but venting would be the better option if it's possible. An easier solution, though maybe not practical or cost effective, would be electric heat.

tynyphil

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We ran into a problem with our ‘very tight’ off grid cabin the first winter. Our wood burning stove was vented but it seemed to have burnt up the available oxygen in the night. Woke up and could hardly breathe until we opened the door and window. Carbon monoxide was not it. There is a detector. Installing a fresh air vent to the stove solved the problem. Something to consider

OkieBoogaloo

The Trees are Whisperin
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You should run a dehumidifier as well, furnaces will put water in the air.

I'd also consider adding one of these to the kit. Better to ensure oxygen levels stay solid, as others have mentioned Ox can be lowered without a CO threat. Anyone with gas/propane systems should have a gas detector and check their systems at least 2x a year (ex: spring/winter solstice)

Latest posts

Top Bottom