"properly staked carrier key"

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dan45

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I hear this phrase often. What does it mean and why is it important?
(I know what a carrier key is, just don't know what properly staked means)

Wormydog1724

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Lol. Has nothing to with post counts. It has everything to do with asking a question that google can return 1,000's of results and days worth of reading materials. You'll learn more by researching yourself than asking on a forum.

Sorry I hurt your feelings.

gritlife

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
"The gas key on top of the bolt carrier is the part that the gases (which have been re-directed through the gas port, then the gas block or front sight base, and into the gas tube) pass through in order to expand within the carrier, push back on the carrier against the bolt, unlock the bolt and cycle the firearm. As such it is under tremendous pressure and is critical to the continued operation of the firearm, and must remain sealed in order to allow all of the gas pressure into the carrier to do it's job. The key is held on to the top of the carrier by two screws, typically allen but sometimes torx, that are tightened to a specified torque. After tightening the metal of the key should be "staked" in such a way as to prevent the screws from loosening. In order for the staking to perform it's job properly it must deform the metal of the key sufficiently to make contact with, and perhaps even deform a bit, the attachment screws. Use of Locktite is not sufficient, as virtually all versions of Locktite are weakened by heat."

This, and other VERY useful information may be found in this http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=pwswheghNQsEuEhjFwPrgTA&gid=5 (M4 Comparison Chart). It was created by someone at the AR15 forum, and has helped me greatly. 'Hope this helps.

gritlife

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This one is properly staked:

ai3.photobucket.com_albums_y95_jerrellwise_Gun_20Pics_Noveskecarrierkeystaking.jpg

This one is not:

ai3.photobucket.com_albums_y95_jerrellwise_Gun_20Pics_CMMGcloseups7.jpg

Neither is this one:

ai3.photobucket.com_albums_y95_jerrellwise_Gun_20Pics_SWMP_15pics_gaskey.jpg

This is what Sabre Defense used to do (also not correct):

ai3.photobucket.com_albums_y95_jerrellwise_Gun_20Pics_SabreDefenseBCGstaking.jpg

Here's the famed officer forums explanation on everything from "the chart" explained and an excellent guide for all the differences in various AR-15s:

http://forums.officer.com/showthread.php?81462-So-you-want-to-buy-an-AR-15-huh

Wormy's just moody :P I'd answer these questions all day rather than the "which is better" ones.

dan45

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
thanks ezbake! thats what i was looking for. so if mine looked similar to the sabre defense key, could a fella stake it properly himself, maybe a hammer and a punch?

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
thanks ezbake! thats what i was looking for. so if mine looked similar to the sabre defense key, could a fella stake it properly himself, maybe a hammer and a punch?

Honestly, if its not loose, and you're not shooting thousands of rounds through it in a month, I wouldn't worry about it too much, but if you just have to get it done, I'm not sure who in the Tulsa area does that (Josh-L is setup to do it in OKC, as is Steve Baldwin, and I think OlYeller can do it despite his refusal to work on rifles for the longest time).

Mike the gunsmith at OPS might be a good start.

Latest posts

Top Bottom