"properly staked carrier key"

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wormydog1724

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Next time I'll just PM you EZ and let you field these questions. And I am moody. Late night last night and an early morning and a long day and I still can't fall asleep!

I knew a guy once that took his key off the carrier every time he cleaned his rifle. Not recommended but I guess he didn't know any better because it was a RRA and they don't exactly stake their carrier keys all that well, or at least his wasn't. Or maybe it was until he took it off. Hell I dunno. My old bushmaster wasn't staked "good" but I would just check to make sure it was tight every thousand rounds and never had any issues.

I try not to jump into these threads right off because I either sound like a dick or somebody comes along and tries to prove me wrong. But I just couldn't help myself with the google comment. And I still feel the same way. I always go to google and try to read as much as I can from lots of different sources before I venture to ask or answer a question if I dont already have first hand experience. It's just a lot better for me and everyone else because it makes it a whole lot easier to spot the bullshitters from the "been there done that got the t-shirt" guys. Sorry again for the snappy reply.

I say "a lot" too much. Going to sleep!

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Outside of the one "staked" with a chisel (and that might even be enough) all the rest would be just fine. we are talking stoping a screw from backing out under vibration as long as the key metal is mashed into contact with the screws ( like the Saber example ) you are just fine. There are two grades of Loc-Tite that are made for high heat aplications ( go to their website and look under "become a Loc-Tite pro") and they work great, and they are all I use, and I have never had one back out yet even on full auto guns. This is one of those "chart" things that is highly touted, yet highly over rated! Kind of like 1X7 twist and Chrome lining, but hey if it makes you feel good knock yourself out

Latest posts

Top Bottom