Public Service Announcement: DO NOT travel internationally without THOROUGHLY searching your property first!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
i feel for the guy, but he broke the law of another country (even if inadvertent). If we expect visitors here to follow our laws, why would we send anyone 'in' to get this guy?

Would we do the same against mexico, or canada, or china or russia? Would we allow another country to tell us how to enforce our laws in such a situation?

wasn't there an american who was sentenced to be caned in singapore in the 90s for violating one of their laws?

You ask why? Simple answer, it’s pure bull ****!

mahatma

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Several years ago, I got a call while driving to work, telling me that I needed to fly to St. Louis that morning. As soon as I got in my office, I made a reservation, and headed for the airport. No problem leaving Tulsa, but that afternoon while leaving STL, TSA scan shows a blade in my briefcase. I had put it in the previous evening to give to an employee that was going to make some nice elk scales for it. Didn't involve LE, but I did lose the blade.

Didn't Barry Switzer have a little gun issue here some time ago? It can happen...
But wasn't Barry a know moron anyway?

He even thinks he was a Super Bowl winning coach....

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I get nervous flying with a bag that has ever had guns or ammo for fear of the residue test they do.
You'll be fine on that front unless you shoot on an explosives range. The key is to dump search the entire bag, to include "crush & feel" in case an errant round slipped under an open or torn seam. TSA will most likely catch it, but if they don't and it's found at one of these countries with draconian gun laws? You're screwed. :(

GoFundMe was around $100K the last I looked.

My guess at some point he will be able to BUY his freedom.

That's what ultimately happened in the other two cases I mentioned. Depending on the jurisdiction, cash is king.

It's mostly a money grab. Lawyers and court system there need cash.

True, but the article mentions another guy who still got 6 months in the T&C prison, even after the money grab.

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
IIRC Cayman doesn't joke around either. The case I think I heard about was a 5 figure fine for a round of 9mm. This is why I had dedicated luggage for travel through airports versus travel to the range.
Was in Grand Cayman in February; guy we talked to said they had guns and gun crime there, but he said it was very hard to get guns (legally), and there was like a 100% tax on firearms, and 200% tax on ammo, if I remember right. Told my wife that seemed stupid, at least the ammo part; if I was bent on killing someone, another $40 or $50 wouldn't change my mind.

I also keep dedicated bags for travel. American arrogance (and in this case possibly ignorance) is what gets us in trouble elsewhere. We think no one's rules apply to us, Americans being "exceptional" and all. Too bad the rest of the world doesn't feel that way.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Also, like others have stated, if you are going to visit another country, you had better damn well make sure you follow their laws to the letter. So many people think that "hey I am American, you can't do anything to me", when they go out of the country only to find out that just about every country in the world is waiting for some tourist from the USA to screw up so they can nail them to the wall for violations of their laws.

The same can be said when crossing state lines here in the U.S. Folks in states back east have run into issues with having firearms in their vehicles.

Also, if going to Canada, it is a good idea to search for anything firearm related. I remember a case of a couple in an RV got their RV searched at the border. Even though the couple had left all their firearms and ammo with relatives, they forgot a holster. The Canadian agents found that and then proceeded to "very diligently" go through every nook and cranny of their RV looking for anything else.

Latest posts

Top Bottom