Purchase from FFL without background check.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OSU_Chris

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Am currently re-routing my family trip out to Cali this summer and just saw that Wyoming does not require a background check for a firearms purchase from an FFL if you are a valid CCL holder. That's what I'm talking about. Walk in, show your license, pay your bill and walk out with hardware.

Clarification: I am not re-routing my trip for this purpose. Simply saw this information while researching their gun laws as I am taking my pistol with me on the trip. I do not plan on making any weapons purchases on the trip, gotta save the money for my time in Vegas on the trip back.

Last edited:

hipshot

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Texas does it also, fill out paperwork and put ccl number on it and you are gtg. Oklahoma does not do it because they offer a ten year ccw license, that's why we don't do it.

ratski

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Texas does it also, fill out paperwork and put ccl number on it and you are gtg. Oklahoma does not do it because they offer a ten year ccw license, that's why we don't do it.

Oklahoma doesn't do it because when we first issued Concealed Carry permits, several were issued to police officers and/or retired LEOs who would not have qualified if they had been put through the same background check everyone else got. They were not qualified to purchase handguns under federal law due to some violation or another (probably restraining orders). Rather than cancel those permits and continue to allow the use of the CCW for firearms purchases, the powers that be decided that NO ONE could use a CCW to purchase. Now, even though it is many years later, the same restrictions remain.

Dave

dieseltech09

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Oklahoma doesn't do it because when we first issued Concealed Carry permits, several were issued to police officers and/or retired LEOs who would not have qualified if they had been put through the same background check everyone else got. They were not qualified to purchase handguns under federal law due to some violation or another (probably restraining orders).Dave

Ive heard its because Oklahoma doesnt run annual background checks on permit holders like some of the other states do. Not saying your wrong but this came from someone who works for the OSBI.

ratski

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ive heard its because Oklahoma doesnt run annual background checks on permit holders like some of the other states do. Not saying your wrong but this came from someone who works for the OSBI.

Entirely possible that is why they don't allow it NOW. However, I was an FFL when we first got the CCW and used it for the 4473. When the notice came out that we could no longer do that, I made some calls to find out why the switch. That is what I was told in an official capacity at that time.

Dave

Latest posts

Top Bottom