Rare Springfield 1903 Rod Bayonet Rifle

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I just glanced through the auction description, but that's a very interesting piece. I've never seen a rod bayonet for the M1903!

been

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I read an article about the rod bayonet rifles several years ago and thought they looked very interesting. I still havnt seen one at a gunshow though

Boehlertaught

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Note also that the caliber is 30-03. Pre-dating the 30-06, obviously, by 3 years. The bayonet for the original 30-03 was the rod type. And rumor has it that President Teddy Roosevelt affected the change to the blade type bayonet. The caliber was changed, as I understand it, because of the heavier round that Germany and other countries used. All very interesting.

AKguy1985

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Note also that the caliber is 30-03. Pre-dating the 30-06, obviously, by 3 years. The bayonet for the original 30-03 was the rod type. And rumor has it that President Teddy Roosevelt affected the change to the blade type bayonet. The caliber was changed, as I understand it, because of the heavier round that Germany and other countries used. All very interesting.

Yes teddy roosevelt didnt like the rod bayonet at all. He said it looked silly, or something along that line.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes teddy roosevelt didnt like the rod bayonet at all. He said it looked silly, or something along that line.

TR was concerned about the durability of the rod bayonet. The story, probably apocryphal, goes that when he was shown a M1903 with the rod bayonet fixed, he swung a Krag with a blade bayonet down onto the rod bayonet and snapped the latter into two.

Boehlertaught

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
TR was concerned about the durability of the rod bayonet. The story, probably apocryphal, goes that when he was shown a M1903 with the rod bayonet fixed, he swung a Krag with a blade bayonet down onto the rod bayonet and snapped the latter into two.

Maybe apocryphyal but a neat twist on the story I have not read about. Thanks for the input.

Latest posts

Top Bottom