Recommend an outdoor revolver

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ack

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd like to get a revolver to take with me during outdoor activities like camping, hiking, jogging, working in the yard, etc.

Here are my considerations:

--It needs to be fairly rugged and able to stand a little dust, dirt, sweat, and moisture (with proper cleaning and maintenance afterwards, of course.)

--Prefer something on the smaller and lighter side - easy to carry while working or jogging.

--Usage will be for self defense from people or large animals, plus snake and critter control with shot shells. My plan is to load 2 or 3 shot shells followed by real bullets.

--I prefer 9mm in order to keep my ammo standardized with my other handgun. I wonder about the 9mm shot shells though - whether they'll do a decent job on a snake.

Any recommendations for what I should be looking at?

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
There are very few (if any right now) choices for 9mm revolvers. Is that a critical point for you?

Your options are nearly limitless in size, weight, material etc if you will consider .38/.357 mag.

aeropb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Those conditions are don't seem attainable. 9x19 isn't recommended for large animals.

If you'd consider other calibers I'd recommend a stainless steel model in .357 Magnum.

LBnM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've used snake shot in .44 and .45. The first wasn't very good - took about three shots. The .45 Colt was better - one shot - but still not good. Maybe, just the luck of the draw that particular day. These guns varied from medium heavy to HEAVY (Ruger Redhawk ,45 Colt). However with a good holster I am very comfortable carrying the Redhawk. I would recommend a .357 with light .38 loads (to shoot the snake in the head) and heavy .357 loads (for whatever else you found a need to shoot.) A Ruger SP101 would be handy. You could go to a lightweight Smith (like a Night Guard) in a larger caliber but they are expensive and you have to take a little more care with maintaining them.

bigcountryok

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
IMO you're trying to ask too much of one gun and you're going to get a jack of all trades master of none. The performance in all areas will be mediocre at best.

Sounds like you need two pistols. Light easy to conceal for jogging and a trail or hiking gun for the woods.

For the light gun you can't go wrong with the S&W Airweights IMO. While I've never used one, the Taurus Judge sounds like a good fit for your trail gun (couple 410 shot shells followed by 45LC).

I personally like the Glock 29 10mm. Enough bang to deal with any 4 or two legged critters in OK, small enough to conceal, and can handle getting dirty and nasty.

Good luck you'll probably go through several before you figure out what works for you.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
While not "small and light" compared to Airweights, a K frame sized gun in stainless steel, with a 2"-3" barrel, and chambered for .357 mag should do what you want. S&W's aren't as durable as the Rugers if eating a steady diet of .357, if you use .38s 90% of the time you'll be fine. But you'd be looking at thousands of rounds before that became an issue.

Recommendations:
S&W 66 2.5" - SS with adjustable sights. Great gun, most expensive on this list.
S&W 65 3" - SS with fixed sights. Great gun, little more barrel, full ejection of .357 mag brass.
Ruger Security Six 2.75" - get a SS one. These are comparable in size and features to the S&W 66, just a little more rugged at the cost of some fit and finish. I... er, my wife has a 4" SS.
Ruger Service Six or Speed Six 2.75" - get a SS one. Comparable to the S&W 65, exactly like the Security Six, but fixed sights instead of adjustable. I have one of each.

Get a good holster, and a good belt, and pack away!

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I kind of think something in a 357 would be closet to what you're looking for.
The magnum round will deal with almost anything in the woods around here.
I have fired the 38 spl shot rounds on snakes before and they performed well enough.
I killed two copperheads with one shot that were capitulating/fornicating on my front porch.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
There are very few (if any right now) choices for 9mm revolvers. Is that a critical point for you?

Your options are nearly limitless in size, weight, material etc if you will consider .38/.357 mag.

S&W 547 in 3" or 4" blued 9mm K-frame revolver, better be prepared to spend mucho money!!!!
Same for the S&W J-frame 940 in 9mm.

sounds like a tourus judge is the ticket except its not a 9mm.... but uses 410 shotgun shells and 45 i think............

I'm not trying to hard to be an A$$, but the Judge has been proven to be a flop as far as handguns go, lets try not recommending junk JMHO- Oh if you don't particularly care about what I said, keep it off here, and PM me, we'll chat!!

While not "small and light" compared to Airweights, a K frame sized gun in stainless steel, with a 2"-3" barrel, and chambered for .357 mag should do what you want. S&W's aren't as durable as the Rugers if eating a steady diet of .357, if you use .38s 90% of the time you'll be fine. But you'd be looking at thousands of rounds before that became an issue.

Recommendations:
S&W 66 2.5" - SS with adjustable sights. Great gun, most expensive on this list.
S&W 65 3" - SS with fixed sights. Great gun, little more barrel, full ejection of .357 mag brass.
Ruger Security Six 2.75" - get a SS one. These are comparable in size and features to the S&W 66, just a little more rugged at the cost of some fit and finish. I... er, my wife has a 4" SS.
Ruger Service Six or Speed Six 2.75" - get a SS one. Comparable to the S&W 65, exactly like the Security Six, but fixed sights instead of adjustable. I have one of each.

Get a good holster, and a good belt, and pack away!

What he said!!!! If I had got here first, it would be what I said.

I kind of think something in a 357 would be closet to what you're looking for.
The magnum round will deal with almost anything in the woods around here.
I have fired the 38 spl shot rounds on snakes before and they performed well enough.
I killed two copperheads with one shot that were capitulating/fornicating on my front porch.

He's Old, but there's a reason he is!!! Most of the time he's pretty spot on!!!!

They were "giving in" on your front porch?

Or did you mean "copulating"? LOL!

Not going there!!!

Latest posts

Top Bottom