Recommendations for Manual Can Opener

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Profreedomokie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I went through the same thing on a pop riveter. I needed one that could get into a corner and all the ones made now that I looked at can't. I went to the local flea market and found one of those old cheap stamped out of sheet metal ones that can get right into a corner for $2. Newer ain't always better

Chief Sapulpa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Where they bust the sod in South Tulsa County.
SwingAway is all that I ever use. In fact, I've never owned an electric can opener......really!!

I think the last one was purchased at Bed, Bath, and Beyond.

:thumbup3:
I have a 20+ year old Made in the USA Swing Away manual can opener. I protect it like my expensive kitchen knives. Check out EZ Duz It for Swing Away repair kits or their made in the USA version; EZ DUZ IT CAN OPENERS

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Pampered Chef ...

opener1.jpg
opener2.jpg
opener3.jpg

joegrizzy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
I’m about to give up trying to find a manual can opener that will work on a reliable basis for more than a few cans. I don’t complain about much, but I’m extremely aggravated that I can’t find a good quality manual can opener. Any recommendations?
hit up antique stores. dealt with the SAME issue, had guests over, bought a brand new can opener for like $20, sprang for the expensive one. it broke on the FIRST CAN i used it on, had to HACK into the next one just to get my can of coconut milk open.

went around the antique stores, found a REAL STEEL one for $6, it's been perfect. likewise, when i needed a manual food mill for pulping persimmons, i also found several to choose from by making an antique store run. one of them was in great condition, for WAY cheaper than a new one would cost, and i know the new one would immediately break on me anyway.

don't trust anything new being made. people are shaving everywhere they can, literally.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When the can opener fails use the can on one of these.

1641153207482.png

I have tweaked my can openers both are Good Cook brands and have lasted for years.
I had to put a teflon washer behind the gear on one to line up the gears for perfect gear to gear alignment.

I can't seem to leave anything stock.

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I bought one of the hand crank rim cutters and liked it so well I tried an electric one and have been very happy with it and they are holding up well. It seems different can manufacturers are putting different lip crimp on the cans. The lip cutter, side cutter, smooth edge, (different brands descriptions,) cuts on the sides and works well every time with no sharp edges or the cutter getting into the foods. Takes a little getting used to to a couple times to use your thumbs to push up the lip to remove the lid.

Hand crank one is OXO Smooth Edge Can Opener

Electric is Hamelton Beach. https://www.amazon.com/Hamilton-Bea...1bd6766e00537&language=en_US&ref_=as_li_ss_tl

Both have far outlasted any decent can opener I have ever owned.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom