Red Castle Gun Club Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It’s been several years since I shot at the high power range, but the steel silhouettes go out to 500 yards, and you could post paper targets only at 600 yards on that range. Someone else might have more up to date info.

You can shoot from the berms closer to the paper target stands as long as there aren’t any shooters on 600 yd line.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’m newish to the Tulsa area and am looking at the various options for shooting ranges. Red Castle is piquing my interest with the indoor and outdoor memberships. However, it appears the indoor range is the only membership open at the moment. I’m wanting indoor for pistol and maybe rifle sight in, and outdoor for everything, including long range shooting.

So my biggest questions are
1. How long does it take to move from the combined membership from indoor only?

2. Will I have to pay a second application fee when converting to the combined?

No rifles on the indoor range, unless, it’s a 22lr or pistol caliber.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You can shoot from the berms closer to the paper target stands as long as there aren’t any shooters on 600 yd line.

Are you sure? I was told we could only shoot from the main firing line, which is now under a roof. For paper targets closer than 600 yards, I was directed to the bench rest area by one of the club officers who was out there that day. It’s been a few years, though.

Gadsden

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Are you sure? I was told we could only shoot from the main firing line, which is now under a roof. For paper targets closer than 600 yards, I was directed to the bench rest area by one of the club officers who was out there that day. It’s been a few years, though.
No, HiredHand is correct. You can shoot from the berms too. If people are shooting from the benches and you want to go out there you can invoke the one hour rule and at the end of the hour they will have to stop and allow you to set up at one of the berms

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No, HiredHand is correct. You can shoot from the berms too. If people are shooting from the benches and you want to go out there you can invoke the one hour rule and at the end of the hour they will have to stop and allow you to set up at one of the berms

Just to make sure I’m on the same page, are we talking about the high power rifle range with the steel silhouettes at 200, 300, etc. yards? You can set up a paper target by those silhouettes, but you still have to shoot from the main firing line under the roof - correct? Otherwise if you can shoot from one of the berms closer to the 600 yard line, then people who want to shoot from the main firing line have to wait to shoot - if so, for how long?

Gadsden

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just to make sure I’m on the same page, are we talking about the high power rifle range with the steel silhouettes at 200, 300, etc. yards? You can set up a paper target by those silhouettes, but you still have to shoot from the main firing line under the roof - correct? Otherwise if you can shoot from one of the berms closer to the 600 yard line, then people who want to shoot from the main firing line have to wait to shoot - if so, for how long?
Yes, you can set up from the berms in front of the high power range, I'm not sure how long anyone wanting to shoot from the main firing line under the cover has to wait. Possibly they can invoke the one hour rule which would make sense, but I can't say for sure that's how it works in reverse.

@Logan Lacher can you tell us how that works?

Last edited:

Finnished

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes, you can set up from the berms in front of the high power range, I'm not sure how long anyone wanting to shoot from the main firing line under the cover has to wait. Possibly they can invoke the one hour rule which would make sense, but I can't say for sure that's how it works in reverse.

@Logan Lacher can you tell us how that works?
Thats how it works. For the high power range, only the closest firing line can use the range. If you want to shoot a further distance, you can go to them and ask them to be done in an hr. They have 1 hr to be out of the firing line.

The rules for the club are on the website as well under "How to Join" I believe. They need updated but it is something I just hadn't gotten to.

For the consideration of all, its advisable to just use the bench rest rifle range if you're shooting at shorter distances. Sometimes folks may need to walk their rifle out a bit which is what the alternative berms are for. (It pays to help that person sight in if you're wanting to use the 600)

If you're wanting to shoot the high power raised military targets, you can have a buddy post up behind the farthest berm with a walkie talkie or a cell if you have service. The berm is about 15 feet high. If youre a member and you've never seen them, just drive out to the end of the high power rifle range and you'll see what you've been missing 😀

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sounds like somebody needs to work on their orientation rule delivery.
You can shoot at the different berms but it is recommended to use the bench rest for 1&2 hundred yards. Don't feel bashful about laying down between the benches.
Paper targets should only be shot from the high power pit not the silhouette berms.
The white frame in line with the road and 50yds behind the pits. Is for 50bmg and like high powered cartridges

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I wish I knew who was spreading that BS. I often shoot at paper of the berms (CMP style) - I had a guy come up to me and a buddy and tell us we needed to go back to the covered area. Dude had his wife/girlfriend with him and acted like he was in charge. I told him to get lost (well maybe not those words). He said he was gonna report me.

I've also been shooting from the 300 yard berm, looked behind me and had some clown setting up to shoot the silhouettes. That was a colorful conversation.

IMHO putting that covered concrete up at the back was a bad move.

Latest posts

Top Bottom