Red dot rant

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Letfreedomring

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is it just me or has anyone else noticed that red dot lens surrounds seem to be getting thicker and thicker. I get the whole run-n-gun thing that needs durability, but most of us aren't going to be deep in the doo-doo. I would rather have the thinnest (metal) frame for the best downrange sight picture available. My thinking is the mickey mouse ears would cover up quite a bit of the threat picture or am I over-thinking things?
images (46).jpeg

I'm still new to the red dot edc transition and only have a little experience with the holosun scs which is borderline on frame thickness. I just hope the trend reverses and doesn't go the way of the cell phone: big-little-tiny-huge. Lol.
Post up your opinion and your likes and dislikes on the current trend of carry red dots.

rockchalk06

ʞlɒʜƆʞɔoЯ
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thinner has less durability. When the MRDS started gaining popularity, they were pumped out quickly we found most had zero durability. Just because you aren't going to be in the ****, doesn't mean someone else won't be and needs that durability. If I cant trust the optic to be racked of a hard object or dropped on a hard surface, I have no reason to have said optic. I could just as easily go back to irons and have 10 times the durability as most MRDS.

I don't pay attention to the frame of the optic. I pay attention to my target. The frame either disappears when the weapon is held correctly or becomes an afterthought while I am staying target focused as is the whole reason behind an MRDS.

Holosun makes the 508/509 which has a much more generous window. Even my 507C is giant compared to my standard RMR. If you are not concerned with durability, Sig Romeo 1 or the 2nd gen have yuge windows, clear glass with no tint and crisper dots (my eyes)

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
It has more to do with optical performance and thermal drift than anything believe it or not. Those two things cost $$$. More so than "durability". Holosun can make less performing but good optics in China for way cheaper and most people will never know the difference. Once it goes through a performance qual and 810G testing, you'll see why nobody in the military or GOV gets issued Holosuns and why the RMR is issued. Same with Docter and L3 MRDS back in the day.

And yeah, I think you're probably over-thinking it.

JoeGloker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Which romeo are you running? Pro, elite, x, etc? Thanks
Sig Romeo One,
gottem on sale for $99.00, making all but my Ruger RedHawks 7 1/2” stainless run one , it sits a Leopold 2X stainless that’s been Magnaported !!! Awesome to shoot- a hand cannon that has lost it’s kick.. Blows your mind what magnaporting a magnum does. It sure does blow fire at night. Thought of getting a S&W 500, but this one’s paid for. This thing shoots 300 gr HP, hits them deer like your shooting manhole covers at them, leaves a big hole and $2000 in your pocket. A real
“Winner Winner Chicken Dinner “
Bought it new in the 90’s. Dang I’m getting old!!

JoeGloker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sig Romeo One,
gottem on sale for $99.00, making all but my Ruger RedHawks 7 1/2” stainless run one , it sits a Leopold 2X stainless that’s been Magnaported !!! Awesome to shoot- a hand cannon that has lost it’s kick.. Blows your mind what magnaporting a magnum does. It sure does blow fire at night. Thought of getting a S&W 500, but this one’s paid for. This thing shoots 300 gr HP, hits them deer like your shooting manhole covers at them, leaves a big hole and $2000 in your pocket. A real
“Winner Winner Chicken Dinner “
Bought it new in the 90’s. Dang I’m getting old!!
I’ve been thinking about Magnaporting my 43X, only way it could be better!!!!

Latest posts

Top Bottom