Red-haired coyotes?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rj ︈

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hey all,

I went out hunting whitetails in the panhandle at my grandfather's farm and he was telling me about some odd "coyotes" he has been seeing around. He said they were reddish in color and had long hair and long tails. He has no reason to make things up and has been farming out there long enough to tell a regular old coyote from something else, so I am curious as to what these could be.

On a slightly different note, he also mentioned that in the past, when there were bad fires throughout the western United States, he heard that elk had made it as far over into Oklahoma as Beaver county. I'd be curious to know if anybody else has any insight on this.

undeg01

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hey all,

I went out hunting whitetails in the panhandle at my grandfather's farm and he was telling me about some odd "coyotes" he has been seeing around. He said they were reddish in color and had long hair and long tails. He has no reason to make things up and has been farming out there long enough to tell a regular old coyote from something else, so I am curious as to what these could be.

On a slightly different note, he also mentioned that in the past, when there were bad fires throughout the western United States, he heard that elk had made it as far over into Oklahoma as Beaver county. I'd be curious to know if anybody else has any insight on this.
I’ve known of elk following the rivers down through Elkhart, Ks and even know of one in the Alva area quite a few years ago.

As for the coyotes, I’ve seen a variety of colors on them, including reddish brown, but never a group of a particular color.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Red coyotes are not uncommon, they don't pay as well as the pales. Elk wander into the panhandle, northwest and north central Oklahoma every year. Pretty large resident herd near Camargo.

Latest posts

Top Bottom