Refinishing options please....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So, I just bought another Remington 788 in .243. Gun is in fair shape but I love there little tack drivers. Fair condition because it has some light surface rust and the stock needs refinishing. Bore looks nice. For the $150 I paid ($100 worth of gift certificate) it will be a great candidate to refinish without the worry of screwing up a higher dollar gun. I will refinish the stock myself but will have a gunsmith do the Hot Bluing, etc.

Question: where should I go with the finish? Don't know all what's out there but I want to most likely stay away from a shiny finish. What looks really good for a deer/varmit gun as far as the steel refinishing goes? Parkerizing, dura kote, matte-type bluing? I don't know much about the options and what is out there. It will be topped with a VX-2 3-9x40 in matte black.

Thanks for the input.

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You really from Cali, bro? For anyone around here, I'd use Franson Firearms. Goes by the handle Honeybee 'round these parts.

Yes from Cali. My question was not where to physically take my rifle to get refinished but what type of refinish I should have done to it. Yes, I worded it a bit wrong. I have heard much of Homeybee's work on the site and would use him but I'm 1500 miles away.

What is the benefit of Cerekote?

farmer17

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I bought an $18 Blue Wonder Hot blue kit and refinished about 5 handguns and two long guns with it. You heat the gun up with a torch or a couple of hair dryers and its not as good as a $200 hot dip blue job but it always made a big improvement. If a gun is in about 80% condition it might take it to 95% condition depending on what kind of wear and scratches.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes from Cali. My question was not where to physically take my rifle to get refinished but what type of refinish I should have done to it. Yes, I worded it a bit wrong. I have heard much of Homeybee's work on the site and would use him but I'm 1500 miles away.

What is the benefit of Cerekote?

Much higher surface hardness (abrasion resistance) and corrosion resistance than Duracoat, parkerizing or bluing. Tons of options. Personally, I'd do that particular gun in Blue Titanium or Sniper Grey.

http://www.cerakoteguncoatings.com/finishes/

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Much higher surface hardness (abrasion resistance) and corrosion resistance than Duracoat, parkerizing or bluing. Tons of options. Personally, I'd do that particular gun in Blue Titanium or Sniper Grey.

http://www.cerakoteguncoatings.com/finishes/

Thanks for the thoughts. That sniper grey is real nice. Would look great with a dark grey and black laminate stock. I just may hurt my brain trying to figure out which way I'm gonna go with this refinish. Thanks G2G.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
The Socom Blue and Midnight Blue both look good on wood stocked guns. Seen some older rifles and shotguns done that way.

Usually I agree with GlockToGo, but I think Titanium Blue might be a bit too much alongside wood. Now with a black or gray...

**ETA: Sitting on that dried stump looks good, so a gray laminate might look good with the Ti Blue. Still don't know how I'd like it next to a brown or reddish wood.

Here is Titanium Blue next to Graphite Black on my 1911:
i157.photobucket.com_albums_t52_m5stingray18_Guns_1911_JPG_DNGIMG_8676_Small_1.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom