Reloading elbow...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tul9033

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Anyone else experienced this? I've had a Dr. look at and they were sure it was tennis elbow and the pain is right on the same tendons. Dr. gave me a cortizone shot which actually helped for about 3 months. The brace doesn't really do much.
I believe it is from the forward motion to seat primers.
Having never loaded on a Dillon is the primer seat function pretty much the same as other loaders? On my LNL the primer is seated with a decent amount of forward handle pressure.
Tennis elbow from reloading is OK, unfortunately it does me no good in matches.

Mitch H.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I feel your pain. I suspect it isn't just from reloading. When I have done a lot of dry firing, drawing and transition drills, I get "tennis elbow" in both arms. I noticed it about three months ago now and it seems to come and go. I'm not sure there is an answer to the problem. Aleve gives me a decent amount of relief.

grwd

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Yeah, reloading;
That's it, that's the ticket.

Seriously though,
650 primes on the downstroke too.
I'd try different press heights.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well my elbow doesn't bother me, but I'm going to have a nasty case of carpal tunnel if I don't find a RockChucker to run my .40 brass through the EGW push through die. Some of those are just flat mean!

Yes the Dillon is a bit easier to seat primers on and you only have to push the handle once. I have a LNL AND a new Dillon 650. You might try rigging up a Dillon roller handle on your LNL, I saw a post somewhere and I believe it was on this board where someone did that. Ultimate Reloader sells them for the LNL but they are kinda pricey. Also if you load standing up or sitting on a tall bar stool you might try this:

[Broken External Image]

W150

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
the 1050 seats on the down stroke, it's an expensive fix though.

But worth every penny.:w000t:
Keep your Dies clean, Everything well lubed and yes I use a little case lube on the cases even when they are carbide dies.
A different handle and adjusting the height of the press could help also.

tul9033

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies.
I have the dillon roller handle on my LNL and posted a few pics a while back so that was probably me you remember. I've also got a spacer under the primer punch and that has helped quite a bit. The handle for my loader is about at elbow level and my forearm almost level with my hand on the handle. If only those primer pockets would clean themselves it'd make things easier.
Height adjustment is a good idea, too bad they don't engineer that into presses these days.
Shadow was the 650 upgrade worth it all? I'd love to hear your comparisons.

tul9033

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Mitch I think you have a few years on me so you may just be more wore out than me! :D At first I thought it was caused by exactly what you described and is most likely a combination of both. Advil does help and the doc gave me some anti inflamatories, but I haven't tried them.
Funny thing is the tendon affected isn't really in your elbow it's more on top of the forearm near the elbow. You can feel it with firm pressure in the area.
I usually load in marathon sessions so I may go in shorter intervals.

Latest posts

Top Bottom