Reloading elbow...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I usually do most of my reloading in the winter.
That's a benefit of aquiring lots of brass over the years.
I just take my time and try not to overdo it.
Last winter I cranked out a couple thousand this way.
As for reloaders elbow, every joint in my body aches in the winter.
I just take extra pain relievers and go on.

W150

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I didn't know a 650 did that too, cool.
You had it right the first time. From the holy BENOS site:bowdown:

"I have two minor complaints. First, it is a little more difficult to clear a stoppage than it is on the 1050. (The 8-station shell plate on the 1050 leaves you plenty of room to work; opposed to the 5-station, 650.) Second, you seat the primer manually, by feel, at the end of the upstroke, like most every other press in the world. Conversely, the 1050 seats the primer, based on a mechanical adjustment, on the downstroke. "

About half way thru the 650 Vs 1050 discusion
http://www.brianenos.com/pages/dillon.html#which

Mitch H.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Mitch I think you have a few years on me so you may just be more wore out than me! :D At first I thought it was caused by exactly what you described and is most likely a combination of both. Advil does help and the doc gave me some anti inflamatories, but I haven't tried them.
Funny thing is the tendon affected isn't really in your elbow it's more on top of the forearm near the elbow. You can feel it with firm pressure in the area.
I usually load in marathon sessions so I may go in shorter intervals.

You young whippersnappers need to learn some respect! :) I hurt in the same place, on top of the forearm near the elbow. I suspect palming boxes of bullets might be contributory.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have the dillon roller handle on my LNL and posted a few pics a while back so that was probably me you remember.

Shadow was the 650 upgrade worth it all? I'd love to hear your comparisons.
I thought it was here that I saw that handle.
When I get some more time with the 650 I'm probably going to do a write up on the pros and cons of each.

But the crux of the 650 is, yes it was worth it to me, because I can load much faster on it. From what I can tell so far is that if you are loading big qtys. of a caliber before changing over to another the Dillon clearly wins. It is really set up to do large quantities and if you are doing said large qtys., it just flat rocks.

But if you only load say 1000 rounds or less and swap over to another caliber and do the same, the LNL is the winner. The LNL is just easier to check things and adjust stuff. I really like the fact that if you don't have a case to prime, the primer just stays put waiting on the next case. That's my one real gripe with the Dillon. It advances the primer feed with each pull no matter what and it has a little chute that the unused primers drop into. It's no biggie to put them back into the feed with a pair of tweezers, just a minor irritation.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies.
I have the dillon roller handle on my LNL and posted a few pics a while back so that was probably me you remember. I've also got a spacer under the primer punch and that has helped quite a bit. The handle for my loader is about at elbow level and my forearm almost level with my hand on the handle. If only those primer pockets would clean themselves it'd make things easier.
Height adjustment is a good idea, too bad they don't engineer that into presses these days.
Shadow was the 650 upgrade worth it all? I'd love to hear your comparisons.

Use an ultrasonic case cleaner and they do a pretty good job of it.

cernstus

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I feel your pain. I suspect it isn't just from reloading. When I have done a lot of dry firing, drawing and transition drills, I get "tennis elbow" in both arms. I noticed it about three months ago now and it seems to come and go. I'm not sure there is an answer to the problem. Aleve gives me a decent amount of relief.

wow, not getting any younger huh? You sure that's from all the practicing?

Latest posts

Top Bottom