reloading

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rolando

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Worth it? Yeah, if you want to save some money and have some time for a new hobby and some $ to invest in some equipment. Doesn't take much shooting to break even though. I shot a deer this year with a handload and it added another dimension to the hunt.

centurion32

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
It is defenitly worth it, the ammo you will reload will be premium grade ammo that would cost much more to purchas, plus you can taylor your load to fit your gun. I load alot of .308 and I wouldnt do it any other way.

44minimum

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you shoot very much then yeah, you will save money. Or rather, you can do a lot more shooting for the same money. If you only shoot or three boxes a year then you're better off buying factory ammo

Furious_George

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
$.30/rnd - holy crap that's cheap? What components are you using? What accuracy are you achieving with these loads (and I've got to ask, what rifle are you shooting it through)?

That's pretty darn cheap.

I totally forgot about this thread. EZ, I recently settled on 165gn Sierra HPBTs with 40gn of IMR 4895, used Winchester brass, and Winchester WLR primers. Shooting out of my Savage model 10FP, the 100 yard groups have been around 1/2" with my best so far being 0.35". The next time I go out, I'm going to test the loads at 200 and 400 yards and try a bench rest. As for cost breakdown, here's what I have:

Bullets: $0.17 (Blemished, bought at Sierra plant in Missouri)
Powder: $0.10
Primers: $0.03
Brass: Free, collected from range trips

But I suppose if you add in the price of brass when I eventually have to buy more, it would probably even out to about $0.35 per round. Still not too bad for blem bullets.

Dr_Mitch

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I haven't done rifle rounds yet, but reloading for pistol should be standard. I'm in half with my brother on a Dillon and accessories, and we broke even at 2,000 rounds. It takes very little time to shoot 2,000 pistol rounds.

If I had the need to reload for a rifle, I would do it. You should go for it. You'll get a fine feeling shooting tight groups that result from YOUR craftsmanship.

Latest posts

Top Bottom